Combine your mechanical services design experience and knowledge of mechanical contracting trades in this role with the University of Guelph Design, Engineering and Construction team.
Reporting to the Manager of Mechanical Design, you will be responsible for the design of mechanical building systems for new and retrofit projects. Systems involved include HVAC air distribution, hydronic heating, chilled water, domestic water and plumbing systems, steam and condensate, along with support systems for laboratory and research equipment.
Your specific responsibilities as a Mechanical Designer will include:
- interviewing users to fully understand their requirements;
- assessing building site conditions;
- using AutoCAD to produce working mechanical drawings that illustrate plan views, elevation view and details pertinent to the project;
- writing technical specifications, identifying equipment, materials and proper procedures necessary to complete the project;
- supporting all design variables with calculation notes based on standard engineering practices and principles while conforming to all government codes and standards;
- interacting with the supervisor and coordinating design with architectural and electrical designers;
- preparing bid packages;
- attending project planning meetings, as required;
- responding to contractors’ and equipment suppliers’ queries;
- scheduling shut-downs, as required;
- performing job site reviews;
- resolving design problems;
- reviewing completed mechanical installations, and reporting deficiencies to the construction coordinator;
- preparing estimates for the mechanical portions of projects;
- assisting with buried service locates;
- remaining current in the field, including updating technical skills; and
- performing other associated duties, as assigned.
NOTE: Off-campus candidates will be expected to provide an acceptable criminal records check at their own expense if chosen as the successful applicant.
To assume the role of Mechanical Designer, you must have:
Community college graduation from a Mechanical Engineering Technologist program, coupled with a minimum of three (3) years’ experience working in mechanical services design with an engineering consulting firm, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Proficiency with AutoCAD, word processing, and spreadsheet software.
A mechanical aptitude.
A working knowledge of mechanical contracting and related trades.
Good communication and organization skills.
Safety training relevant to this position.
The University of Guelph (www.uoguelph.ca) is one of Canada’s leading research-intensive comprehensive institutions, with a record of outstanding scholarship in the arts, humanities, social sciences, life sciences, physical and engineering sciences, agriculture and veterinary sciences. This is your chance to join us in our endeavour to change lives and improve life.
To view a detailed posting of this Mechanical Designer role, please go to our website at www.uoguelph.ca/hr/. Applications, quoting Hiring #2016-0387, must be sent to email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but wish to advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The University of Guelph is committed to equity in its policies, practices and programs, supports diversity in its teaching, learning and work environments, and ensures that applications from members of underrepresented groups are seriously considered under its employment equity policy. All qualified individuals who would contribute to the further diversification of our University community are encouraged to apply.