Building Maintenance Person
FACILITIES AND CAMPUS DEVELOPMENT
BCIT’s Facilities and Campus Development department requires a regular, full-time Building Maintenance Person to join their team! The Building Maintenance Person is the first to respond to many of the work orders and trouble calls made to Facilities and Campus Development by the BCIT community. The position carries out planned and emergency maintenance and repairs on equipment and machinery in the Institute. Works with other trades groups to maintain and repair equipment, machinery, buildings and grounds. Responsible for providing quality customer service to BCIT’s internal and external clients.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Repairs, replaces and maintains belts, distilled water systems, filters, bearings, compressors, pumps, air units, HVAC equipment, valves, expansion tanks, heating coils and valves, including starting up and systematic shutting down of HVAC systems.
- Makes or recommends repairs, modifications and/or replacement of system components, including determining solution, testing, and evaluating the corrective action required.
- Performs adjustments and/or repairs to glass, windows, thermostats, expansion tanks, pressure reducing valves, expansion joints, cooling towers, air compressors and dryers.
- Initiates work orders, obtains materials and maintains records related to performing above tasks. Note: parts used are not standardized (multiple brands and style models are used).
- Adheres to and promotes safety standards required by regulatory bodies. On the job training includes: asbestos identification, confinement and removal, roofing systems warranty, analysis and repair, confined spaces testing and training, WCB electrical lockout procedures, aerial boom lift and elevated scissor lift certification, WCB codes, regulations, Occupational First aid certification and WHIMS training.
- Undertakes duties as assigned consistent with the job grade of this position.
WHAT THIS POSITION HAS TO OFFER:
- A generous Total Compensation package which includes extended health and dental benefits and a competitive pension plan
- Professional Development Funds and opportunities for career development
- Tuition waivers for BCIT courses
- Subsidized parking and fitness facilities
- Wellness and Employee Assistance programs
- Grade 12, plus training programs of up to two years' in duration (in welding, machining or building maintenance).
- Two years' general work experience, plus one years’ practical current experience in a similar position.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Must be able to work independently.
- Good mechanical ability required.
- Proven ability to troubleshoot and resolve equipment and system issues.
- Ability to read and understand blueprints, drawings and building plans.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills are required to maintain top quality customer service standards.
- Willingness to maintain currency in the field and learn on-the-job is essential.
- Basic computer training and experience is required.
*Please note: These are the minimum required qualifications. This position is a dayshift position as defined in Article 14.1 of the Collective Agreement.
START DATE: March 6, 2017
SALARY RANGE: Pay Grade 7; $46,135 with yearly increments to $50,283 per annum.
COMPETITION NUMBER: 17B28
OPENING DATE: February 18, 2017
CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
BCIT offers a competitive salary, generous benefits package and promotes an inclusive workplace. BCIT is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If selected for an interview, candidates will be required to present original copies of credentials.
To apply, visit us at careers.bcit.ca
We are only able to accept applications that are submitted on the BCIT Careers website.