Competition No: S 17 MTE 016 REG
Under the general direction of the HVAC Foreman, the HVAC/Refrigeration Mechanic is responsible for functions involving the installation, maintenance and repair of heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) services in District facilities.
This position performs a variety of technical/manual tasks under limited supervision and in accordance with clearly established policies, procedures, regulations and codes. Judgment is exercised in handling new assignments and determining new work methods.
- Installing, modifying, repairing, maintaining and inspecting heating, ventilation and air conditioning equipment in district facilities including fans, boilers, pumps, heat pumps, rooftop units, towers, furnaces
- Troubleshooting problems with HVAC systems including diagnosing and isolating the problem, researching solutions and repairing when tools and resources are available or referring to external contractors when necessary
- Participating in preventive maintenance inspection of HVAC systems, equipment and fixtures and preparing written reports of condition and providing recommendations for corrective action. Maintaining written work records as required
- Providing support, technical advice and training to other trades and district staff relating to use and maintenance of HVAC equipment
- Providing advice and assistance related to new HVAC installations, repairs or modifications/upgrades to existing HVAC systems
- Submitting orders/requisitions to Foreman for parts and supplies inventory and/or purchasing supplies on an as needed basis to complete work orders
- Responding to service calls as required
- Ensuring equipment and supplies used to perform duties are stored and maintained appropriately
- Maintaining a working knowledge of district operational/personnel policies related to the position
- Ensuring compliance with district and government health and safety procedures and regulations within the Facilities Management department to minimize potential for accidents, injuries and hazards
- Undertaking related duties, as assigned consistent with this position
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
The successful applicant will have Grade 12 supplemented by a current British Columbia or Interprovincial Trades Qualification in Refrigeration Mechanics and Class B Gasfitter Ticket. Three years recent related experience is also required. The incumbent must also have the following:
- Working knowledge of the technical drawings, regulations and codes, standard practices, methods, materials and tools and equipment used in the trade
- Working knowledge of proper safety practices and the demonstrated ability to work in a manner that recognizes personal safety and the safety of others
- Proven ability to express ideas effectively both orally and in writing with the ability to explain instructions or information clearly to others
- Proven ability to maintain positive interpersonal and communication skills with the demonstrated ability to contribute to an environment which promotes teamwork
- Proven ability to work in an efficient manner, organize personal workload, work under pressure and see assignments through to completion
- Proven ability to perform physical activities such as lifting, pushing, pulling and moving materials, equipment and supplies
- Proven ability to learn and incorporate new technology relevant to the trade
- Proven ability to make sound decisions in accordance with established policies and procedures
- Working knowledge of computer operation including knowledge of MS Office, email, internet, district automated dispatch, and work order systems
- A valid BC driver’s license
This is a regular, 12-month position, 8 hours per day and the current salary rate is $29.64 per hour + $2.00 LMA (Labour Market Adjustment) with a comprehensive benefits package.
Effective July 1, 2017 the salary will be $29.79 + $2.00 LMA.
Interested applicants should submit a detailed resumé outlining qualifications and experience no later than 4:30 pm on Sunday, July 16, 2017 via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Individuals not currently employed by School District No. 34 (Abbotsford), are required to sign an "Authorization for Criminal Record Search" to permit a criminal record review. The interest of all applicants is appreciated; however, acknowledgments will only be made to those selected for an interview.