Manager, Finance Business Partner Services
Pay Grade: 7
Reports To: Director, Finance
The Manager, Finance Business Partner Services is responsible and accountable for the delivery of financial analysis and decision support services across the organization. This includes leading financial training of key finance concepts, policies, processes, tools and templates throughout the organization; strengthening the project and service costing, tracking and reporting process; and supporting funding proposal submissions, budget development and variance analysis. The Manager provides expert advice in all areas of Finance to support the organization in ensuring its strategy and business objectives are met. The Manager fosters strong collaborative working relationships within the Corporate Services division and across the CIHI management team.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads, develops and motivates the team by promoting new thinking and innovative solutions; provides clear direction; effectively delegates; monitors performance results and provides timely feedback; supports others through change; makes decisions that balance the best interests of the team, the organization and its stakeholders; and leads by example by living CIHI’s core values.
- Develops and maintains positive cross-functional relationships at all levels of the organization to understand business needs and deliver effective and efficient financial advice and solutions while providing strategic guidance/direction. Coaches and assists management in financial performance management.
- Participates in the development and on-going enhancement of the learning and training programs for key finance concepts and new policies, processes, tools and templates. Leads the team’s delivery of the content throughout the organization.
- Oversees the customer service and support to managers, directors and vice presidents in developing their operational budgets/projections; understanding their financial results and explaining their variances. Leads the program and operational level analytics performed by the Finance Business Partners. Works in collaboration with the Accounting Services & Corporate Reporting team to summarize and identify significant deviations with the budget and prepare audit documentation.
- Manages the development of the compensation budget/projection (annual, quarterly and multi-year) and ongoing reviews of actual results. Raises significant deviations and related implications from the approved operating plan and budget (including projections) and presents recommendations for potential assumption changes and/or resource reallocations to the Director, Finance.
- Leads the financial aspect of funding proposals and is responsible for tracking and reporting (both internally and externally) of cost recovery projects. Responsible for product and service costing and monitoring.
- Manages the multi-year financial plan.
- Leads the department’s collaboration with program managers in the preparation of business cases and the evaluation of changes to the operations of programs.
- Participates in the development and maintenance of timely and accurate reports on the financial affairs of the organization for internal and external distribution. Keeps Controller and Director, Finance informed of the functional-level performance and results of financial activities and matters of particular interest and importance.
- Fosters and maintains collaborative relationships and partnerships with the Governance & Strategy, PMO, Human Resources and Pay and Benefits departments for corporate reporting and payroll and benefits budgeting.
- Sits as a key member on the corporate Portfolio Prioritization Process secretariat. Participates on other CIHI project teams as required. Acts as a back-up to other Finance Managers during absences.
Knowledge and Experience
- Undergraduate degree in Business Administration or Commerce with a professional accounting designation in good standing or Master’s in Business Administration..
- 5 to 8 years’ of progressive financial management experience including minimum of 3 years’ experience managing staff and 3 years relevant experience in a Finance Business Partner role.
- Strong analytical skills with advanced use of spreadsheets.
- Strong oral and written communication, interpersonal and facilitation skills focused on service to internal clients.
- Fluency in both official languages is an asset.
- Ability to translate the numbers into a business story.
- Committed to teamwork and motivating team members to greater success.
- Proven ability or experience in managing operations in a highly computerized environment.
- Ability to fulfil occasional travel requirements.