Senior Policy Advisor
The Colleges Finance Unit of the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development is seeking a self-motivated professional with a strong background in financial analysis, accounting and excellent communication skills. If you have a passion for using your financial and accounting expertise to provide impactful policy advice, consider this opportunity to support Ontario's public college sector.
What can I expect to do in this role?
In an environment of tight fiscal constraints and competition for postsecondary education funding, you will:
• Lead the financial assessment of the college sector and make recommendations to strengthen and support the financial health of colleges
• Lead the assessment of financing requests from colleges and develop business cases to support financing recommendations to the Minister of Advanced Education and Skills Development
• Support the design and development of multi-year financial forecasts of college sector
• Support the collection and consolidation of college financial information into the public accounts of the province
• Consult with information technology professionals to develop and maintain financial reporting systems and databases
• Provide expert consultation and advice to senior government officials and key stakeholders, including Ministry of Finance, Treasury Board Secretariat, internal and external auditors, and the college sector
• Represent the ministry on various government and external committees and task forces
• Coordinate/prepare timely and proactive briefings and presentations to the minister, deputy minister, and other senior executives
How do I qualify?
Specialized Knowledge and Expertise:
• You have knowledge of consolidation accounting and generally accepted accounting principles to manage the consolidation of the college sector into the Province's financial statements.
• You have project management experience to develop and implement critical changes in financial reporting by the college sector and to provide direction in the development of business processes, operational policies, administrative procedures and standards.
• You have demonstrated analytical, problem-solving and financial modelling skills to develop multi-year financial forecasts of college sector and analyze financial statements in the college sector.
Leadership and Project Management Skills:
• You can demonstrate extensive experience leading working groups and guiding staff in the completion of complex and critical projects within requirements and time restrictions.
• You have extensive experience providing technical guidance to financial, systems and management staff on financial reporting issues, requirements and related matters.
• You can demonstrate your experience providing training and advice to various groups on related consolidation and budgeting processes.
Research and Analytical skills:
• You have proven research, analytical and problem-solving skills, including experience working with financial management and reporting issues.
• You have strong problem-solving skills to ensure compliance with accounting requirements and to identify and investigate discrepancies and data integrity matters.
• You can demonstrate strong research and decision-making skills in order to develop financial and business processes, operational policies and reporting systems to meet reporting and audit requirements.
• You have proven consultation and stakeholder management skills to develop effective stakeholder relationships and undertake consultations on financial and business processes.
• You have demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills to provide expert consultation and advice.
• You have strong interpersonal skills to work as part of a team and maintain effective working relationships with stakeholders.
• You have extensive experience in using financial reporting systems and Microsoft Excel.
• You have proven experience developing briefing notes, policy papers, presentations, speech, comprehensive reports, research analyses, graphics and slides.
Salary Range: $69,496 - $102,408 per year
- 1 Permanent, 7th Floor Mowat Block, 900 Bay Street, Toronto, Toronto Region
Please apply online, only, by Wednesday, August 9, 2017, by visiting www.ontario.ca/careers and entering Job ID 109915 in the Job ID search field. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.