Reporting to the CEO, Sunwell’s Controller will be responsible for overseeing the operations of the Finance Department including all aspects of the company’s accounting and financial reporting requirements, while acting as an advisor to senior management.
Specifically, you will be responsible for:
· The creation of financial modelling and forecasts, operational and capital budgets and reporting for the senior management team and external parties.
· Prepare/review monthly financial statements, related analysis, and bank covenant reports on a timely basis. On a monthly basis, report to the senior management team significant fluctuations from budget and large or unusual variances or trends. Monthly reports should include a revised forecast for the balance of the fiscal year and highlight the key areas where operational changes are required to achieve or exceed the annual budget.
· Plan and supervise activities of accounting staff, providing adequate training, support and leadership to the team. Prepare annual performance reviews and deliver feedback to the staff.
· Oversee and review the job costing of all shipments, within 3-4 weeks of shipment, and prepare a summary report used for comparison to the monthly financial statements, prepared by the executive assistant.
· Calculate and review the shop burden rate, monthly.
· Prepare year-end working papers for external accounting firm and coordinate the completion of the annual external financial statements and corporate tax returns. Act as a liaison between senior management and the external accounting firm on all significant tax planning transactions, as required.
· Review financial reporting of year-end inventories, analysis and physical count procedures.
· Coordinate specific requests from senior management on an ad-hoc basis, as required.
· Coordinate SR&ED claim activities, procedures and financial reporting with external accountants
· Act as Liaison with banks and lease companies.
· Review the adequacy of the accounting systems in use including the reports generated for financial reporting and analysis and recommend updates as required
· Responsible for ensuring the company’s compliance with statutory laws and regulations and related reporting obligations including corporate income taxes, harmonized sales tax, WSIB, EHT, Employee deduction payments, etc.
· Oversee AR process, e.g. billings, follow-up, communication frequencies, etc.
· Oversee AP process, e.g. receiving, payment schedules, approval of cheque runs, etc.
· Oversee Payroll process, e.g. payroll, employee deductions, WSIB, EHT, expense reporting, payroll disputes, etc.
· Prepare annual budget and forecasts for internal and external use, yearly or on an as needed basis.
Required Skills and Experience:
· Professional Accounting Designation (i.e. CPA, CA/CMA or CGA) with a minimum of 7 years business experience in a manufacturing company.
· College or University Graduate in a Business or Business-related field.
· A proven track record in providing financial leadership across an entire organization.
· Proven ability to guide financial decisions by monitoring financial performance, measuring and analyzing metrics and evaluating against annual and long-term operating targets.
· Critical thinker and creative problem solver who can demonstrate leadership in identifying, assessing and improving financial gaps and challenges.
· Trusted leader who we can influence the business and work alongside senior management, our teams and key stakeholders.
· Ability to build a strong performing team by coaching and developing people.
· Possess strong conflict management skills and comfortable having difficult conversations.
· Ability to see the “big picture” and delegate or use hands-on approach as required.
· Able to multi-task, manage time and handle complex issues in a fast paced dynamic environment by being positive, flexible and open-minded.
· In depth understanding of percentage of completion accounting including the related internal policies and controls that are necessary to prepare accurate job costing estimates on a timely basis.