VFM Auditors (Chartered Professional Accountants)
The Office of the Auditor General of Ontario (Office) is recruiting highly motivated accounting professionals interested in making a difference for the benefit of the members of the Legislative Assembly and the people of Ontario. You will be part of a team of professionals contributing to the Office’s mandate of promoting accountability and value for money in government and broader Public sector operations. The Office conducts value-for-money (VFM) audits of Ontario provincial government ministries, government organizations and the broader public sector including hospitals, long-term care homes, universities, and school boards. The Office reports the results of its work to the Legislative Assembly and the Standing Committee on Public Accounts.
What can I expect to do in this role?
- As part of a team of professionals, conduct value-for-money audits in an exceptionally diverse range of challenging and interesting assignments;
- Identify, develop and prioritize significant audit issues; and
- Contribute to and participate in the drafting of value-for-money audit reports.
How do I qualify?
- A Bachelor's or Master’s degree in Accounting or a related field.
- A Chartered Professional Accountants (CPA) designation, or an expectation to obtain a CPA designation within the next year.
- Preference may be given to those with significant audit experience at a CPA firm, and knowledge of PSAB standards.
- Ability to travel, mainly within Ontario.
- Work experience in the public sector would be considered an asset.
Knowledge and Technical Skills:
- General understanding of government and legislative processes.
- Applied experience in program evaluation, process improvement, or audit methodology would be considered an asset.
- Subject matter expertise in any of health, education, social services, environment, engineering, law or finance would be an asset.
Analytical, Judgement and Problem Solving Skills:
- Strong analytical skills to assess multi-dimensional problems and program/audit/process improvement issues.
- Proven judgment to independently identify audit issues, determine cause, analyze impact and make recommendations.
- Strong organizational skills to co-ordinate work with other team members in order to complete work within an agreed upon time frame.
Communication and Relationship Management Skills:
- Strong oral communication skills to conduct audits and communicate observations and recommendations.
- Strong written communication skills to ensure evidence documentation and value-for-money reports are clear and concise.
- Strong interpersonal skills to work co-operatively in a team environment.
Note: Prior to an offer of employment, the top applicant(s) will be required to undergo a screening by the Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC).
Interested candidates, please email a covering letter and resume (as one document), quoting competition number 9/17 by September 2, 2017 to:
Director, Human Resources
Address: 20 Dundas Street West, Suite 1530, Toronto, Ontario
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
The Office of the Auditor General of Ontario is an inclusive employer. Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code.