Business Manager, Strategic Projects (Finance)
University Health Network
If you’re an accounting professional recognized as a business and finance leader, with proven success in strategic financial planning and project management, this is your opportunity to play a key financial role with Canada’s largest research teaching hospital in Toronto, ON.
As an integral member of UHN’s Finance Leadership team, supporting the Vice President & Chief Financial Officer (VP & CFO), you will be primarily responsible for the planning, design, implementation, management and coordination of assigned projects for the VP & CFO portfolio. The major project areas within your mandate include providing strategic advice to the VP & CFO as well as support for specific project planning, along with ad hoc data and information reporting related to areas such as business, corporate finance and corporate reporting.
Your specific areas of accountability as Business Manager, Strategic Projects (Finance) will include:
- leading, planning and developing processes to achieve desired outcomes for all aspects of assigned projects, including defining and developing methodology to achieve results;
- supporting organizational decision support and ad hoc reporting;
- performing administrative and other duties consistent with the job classification, as required;
- overseeing the development, implementation and monitoring of strategic initiatives within the realm of finance;
- leading the implementation of key projects, where appropriate;
- designing, establishing and providing oversight and direction to project teams and project governance;
- establishing and managing strategic collaborative relationships and building support, trust and buy-in;
- advising the VP & CFO on the development of business and financial indicators and metrics;
- monitoring the external environment;
- developing business plans and proposals, as required;
- carrying out budgeting and financial management responsibilities, as assigned; and
- encouraging a culture of service, innovation and problem-solving.
The Business Manager, Strategic Projects (Finance) we seek will have an impressive profile that includes the following highlights:
- A university degree in business or finance
- A recognized professional accounting designation (CPA or equivalent)
- A master’s degree in business management or finance, or a recognized equivalent, an asset
- A minimum of five (5) years’ experience providing related support to Senior Executive Teams
- A minimum of five (5) years’ progressively senior financial and project management experience in a complex organization, providing broad knowledge of the controllership, financial reporting, planning, budgeting, revenue, and analysis functions
- A minimum of five (5) years’ experience developing senior executive, board-level and investor relationship materials, including MD&As, presentations and briefing notes
- At least five (5) years’ solid experience in strategic financial planning and project management
- Proven experience with activity, workflow and organizational analysis for process re-engineering or efficiency improvements
- Knowledge of information systems and SAP, preferred, including the ability to work at an advanced level in MS Excel, PowerPoint and MS Access
- Demonstrated exposure to, and understanding of, internal control systems in a multidivisional organization
- Ability to work with ambiguity and thrive in a changing environment while experiencing resource constraints
- Experience in leading organizational change in a large, decentralized, complex and multi-site environment
- Exceptional communication skills with the ability to articulate complex financial matters to a non-financial audience
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving and decision-making skills with the ability to identify trends, establish benchmarks and provide credible analysis and business recommendations
- Strong planning and organizational skills with the ability to create integrated plans, influence outcomes and engage multiple stakeholders
- Capacity to build partnerships, work collaboratively and communicate effectively to diverse groups both within and external to UHN
- High emotional intelligence and ability to influence
- A reputation as an ethical and independent leader, demonstrating high standards of professionalism and respect for confidentiality
- Demonstrated excellent performance and attendance history
- Experience in a healthcare environment, beneficial
- LEAN certification and training, an asset
- Exposure to data sciences, including data analytics, beneficial
- A strong service orientation with a passion to advance the mission of UHN.
Amazing People. Amazing the World.
At University Health Network (UHN), which consists of Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre and Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, nothing is more important to us than our team of dedicated employees. UHN focuses on creating and maintaining a workplace of choice, where our people are recognized and valued. We focus on creating a workplace where people enjoy the challenge of their career, create and engage in best practices and are treated with respect. To find out more about UHN, visit us online at www.uhn.ca
If you’d like to be considered for this key mandate as Business Manager, Strategic Projects (Finance), please apply online, quoting vacancy #807956, at
University Health Network thanks all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process, providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.