The Town of Lakeshore has a career opportunity for a Supervisor of Revenue. Reporting to the Director of Finance, the Supervisor of Revenue will assist in carrying out all statutory functions as set out in the Municipal Act and related Acts and Legislation. Responsible for the coordination and maintenance of effective property taxation, utility billing, revenue and collection programs, corporate cash management/cash handling and customer service initiatives.
- University Degree in Accounting or Business Administration or equivalent.
- Minimum of 5 years previous progressively responsible experience including municipal taxation and revenue and related software, customer service and collections, cash management & supervisory experience in a high transaction volume and unionized environment.
- Completion of the Municipal Tax Administration Program through Ontario Municipal Tax and Revenue Assoc.
- Professional Accounting designation is an asset
- Extensive knowledge of municipal finance including property taxation and revenue billing and collection.
- Thorough knowledge of financial planning, analytical techniques, management accounting and controls.
- Planning and organizational skills to develop and implement long and short term policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of Provincial policies and Legislation that affects municipal government and municipal tax legislation.
- Ability to prepare accurate reports and present workable policy recommendations.
The Supervisor of Revenue shall ensure that business processes are documented and maintained current for all areas of responsibility of the position including staff and management functions.
- Regularly provides reports to Director (verbal and written) on work status and/or identified work problems within the Division for resolve and actively pursues and develops operational efficiencies to assist with the management of divisional volumes and short/long term goals.
- Maintains or directs the maintenance of all property tax accounts for the Municipality, including:
- Receiving the assessment roll from the Provincial Assessment Office.
- Reconciling changes from prior year roll and update changes not included on the roll.
- Preparation of interim and final tax billings with the inclusion of all special area rates and local improvements.
- Prepare and mail supplementary tax billings, rebates and abatement notices upon receipt of information from the Assessment Office.
- Oversee the collection of and recording of tax payments over the counter and mail on a timely basis.
- Monitor tax arrears sending out appropriate notices and following Tax Sales procedures as required.
- Respond to lawyers inquiries and prepare tax certificates.
- Respond to taxpayer inquiries-directly, by phone or in writing.
- Maintains and directs the maintenance of all Water Accounts for the Municipality including:
- Coordinates water meter readings and loading the editing water reading data for billing purposes.
- Ensure billings are distributed as per schedule.
- Establish new accounts and ensure ownership changes are set up on a timely basis communicating with other municipal departments.
- Ensure final readings are scheduled, completed and billed.
- Oversee the collection of and recording of water payments over the counter and mail on a timely basis.
- Respond to lawyer inquiries
- Respond to customer inquiries-directly, by phone or in writing
- Maintains and directs the maintenance of all other Revenue for the Municipality including:
- Oversees billing and collection of general accounts receivable including interpreting and applying legislation, recommending and developing corporate policies and developing internal procedures and processes to ensure efficient and effective operations, including safeguarding of cash.
- Oversees funding agreement and grant claims and related accounts receivable for federal and provincial funding, including Drainage Act, policing related, and other such revenues.
- Maintains and directs the maintenance of cashiering and cash handling including process and audit controls relating to corporate cash management and customer services.
- Other duties as assigned
For the full job description, please visit our website at www.lakeshore.ca under employment opportunities. Qualified applicants interested in the position are to email a detailed resume outlining their qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than noon on Friday, September 22, 2017 clearly indicating Supervisor of Revenue in the subject line. This is a non-union position. The salary is $72,645 to $84,987 (currently under review) annually with competitive benefits and pension.
Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will only be used for the purpose of determining eligibility for this competition. The Town of Lakeshore is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations under the requirements of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) will be provided upon request.