Registered Practical Nurse with Advanced Foot Care
Part-time indeterminate (0.3 FTE)
Are you a Registered Practical Nurse with a certification in foot care? Are you interested in working in an environment where Indigenous culture is integrated into Western foot care methods? Are you able to deal with a spectrum of clients, including diabetic patients with complex foot care needs?
The Wabano Centre for Aboriginal Health is an award-winning Health Access Centre that provides holistic primary health care to First Nation, Inuit and Métis people living in Ottawa - one of the fastest growing and diverse urban Indigenous communities in Canada. Wabano is a fast-paced, client-oriented organization that models the Indigenous values of balance, respect and community interdependence.
- Provide foot care to clients
- Provide education sessions on foot care to clients and community partners
- Provide outreach services to Indigenous Community Partners and actively recruit clients to the Diabetes program
- Function as a member of the multi-disciplinary Health Team (including Elders, Physicians, counsellors, dietitian, traditional teachers, chiropractor and RNECs)
- Provide holistic primary health care to urban First Nation, Inuit and Métis clients
- Work in an environment that honours the wisdom of Indigenous beliefs, cultures and traditions.
- Membership with the Registered Practical Nurses Association of Ontario;
- Current Heart and Stroke Foundation Level C CPR course or equivalent
- Advanced foot care;
- Minimum two (2) years experience in primary health care, community-based nursing &/or a physician’s office;
- Familiarity with current foot care principles including most recent best practice expectations;
- Knowledge of &/or sensitivity to various Indigenous cultures;
- Openness to traditional Indigenous medicines, treatment practices and healing methods;
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills;
- Experience working with the urban Indigenous population;
- Computer skills essential.
- Criminal record check for working with vulnerable people will be required.
- Indigenous descent would be considered a strong asset.
To pursue this opportunity, please submit a covering letter and Curriculum Vitae to email@example.com. The position will be open until filled.
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. Wabano is committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If contacted for an employment opportunity or interviewing, please advise if you require accommodation.