Must be available for all 3 shifts – days, evenings, nights, and weekends
Must be available to work 8-hour & 12-hour rotations
$27.049 to $29.358 per hour
At St Joseph’s Health Centre Toronto, everything we do is aimed at living our mission and achieving our vision of advancing the health of our community by being Canada’s best community teaching Health Centre. This means we are committed to delivering exceptional experiences, shaping care through teaching and education, and providing seamless services for patients.
A Catholic hospital fully accredited with exemplary standing by Accreditation Canada, St. Joe’s Toronto is fortunate to be home to an entire community of people who live our values and mission every day — the staff, physicians, volunteers and students — that our patients and families will get to know during their experiences with us.
Working here means more than having a job; it means being part of a community where each and every member of our team is recognized and appreciated.
Working on 4M/E Medicine, the RPN will function to the full scope of College of Nurses of Ontario Standards of Nursing Practice for Registered Practical Nurses. The RPN will provide high quality nursing care for a variety of medicine patients within an Interprofessional Collaborative Practice philosophy and Model of Care. This is an exciting time for the 4M/E team as we are currently expanding our units to accommodate more patients and in doing so we are also taking the opportunity to shape how we deliver care for our patients. The team works collectively to ensure the best possible care is provided, reduce adverse events and implement new strategies on how to proactively keep patients and staff safe. This is a great opportunity to shape how care is delivered and challenge previously conceived norms within healthcare.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Demonstrates an evidence-based approach in their professional nursing practice in accordance with best practice guidelines, policies, procedures and standards of care.
- Assumes an active role in partnering with patients, families and other health care providers to ensure optimal health care.
- Responsible for the assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of interventions and care for assigned patients.
- Educates patients and families in self-management and preparation for discharge.
- Administers medications and other therapeutic interventions within defined scope of practice
- Participates in quality improvement initiatives, supports the maintenance of a safe and healthy work environment, and advances a culture of patient/family/staff safety through their daily practice.
- Mentors/Precepts/Orients staff and students as required.
1. Successful completion of a Practical Nursing Diploma Program.
2. Coronary Care I or equivalent required or in progress.
3. Coronary Care II or equivalent required within 6 months of hire.
4. Currently registered as a Registered Practical Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
5. Recent acute inpatient medicine clinical experience required.
6. Recent clinical experience with cardiac/respiratory patients and telemetry preferred.
7. Demonstrated clinical competence with general medicine nursing skills.
8. Excellent physical assessment skills, critical thinking skills and problem solving skills.
9. Demonstrated understanding and commitment of patient and family-centred care.
10. Demonstrated history of initiating and supporting organizational change and improvement initiatives.
11. Demonstrated ability to organize patient care demands and to set priorities in a rapidly changing environment.
12. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
13. Demonstrated ability to engage and educate patients and families.
14. Demonstrated commitment to ongoing professional development and learning.
15. Excellent computer skills.
16. Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively within an interprofessional team as well as independently.
17. Current BLS/CPR certificate required.