Make a difference
At Toronto Community Housing we pride ourselves on fostering an environment of collaboration and respect. In the Director of Networks and Infrastructure role, you will build strong internal and external relationships and play an integral part in transforming Toronto Community Housing for the future.
Under the general direction of the Vice President, Information Technology and Systems (ITS), the Director of Networks and Infrastructure role is responsible for the ITS Network Infrastructure & Operations function throughout Toronto Community Housing (TCH). This includes data center, Infrastructure (servers, storage, facilities, networking & appliances), data center applications (primarily CISCO, VPN, Exchange, AVAYA telecom, and other messaging services), network administration, network engineering, client environment engineering, and tier 2 and 3 support. This role is part of the ITS leadership team and therefore is expected to positively impact the overall delivery of information technology services as part of the technology team’s mission.
What you’ll do
- Provide infrastructure services vision, enable innovation and leverage IT trends that can create business value consistent with TCH requirements and expectations.
- Lead strategic technology initiatives to build and maintain key elements of the TCH enterprise infrastructure and associated project portfolio, including but not limited to 24x7 data center infrastructure management and evolution, mobility and remote access services, ubiquitous wireless networks, enterprise-scale messaging environments, active directory, and innovative end user computing solutions.
- Provide leadership for delivery of 24/7 service operations and KPI compliance. Establish metrics, key performance indicators, and service level agreements to continually improve the performance of IT operations.
- Ensure comprehensive disaster recovery architecture is maintained and operations are in place to ensure compliance with required DR and RTOs during business continuity events (emphasizing but not limited to storage area networks and redundant, highly-available server and network architectures).
- Lead an extremely talented team of infrastructure engineering and administration professionals who with others define, manage and support the entire operations infrastructure for the TCH.
- Plan future skill requirements, skill development strategies and resources, Personnel levels based on project and operational demands, and in coordination with ITS directors, professional and personal development for all members of networks and infrastructure team.
- Motivate, organize, mentor, network and infrastructure managers and team members.
- Participate in ITS strategic planning, project planning and budget planning efforts.
- Analyze technology trends and develop infrastructure strategy, architecture, and delivery processes designed for agility and cost effectiveness.
- Establish and maintain strong, strategic partnerships with vendors and service suppliers.
- Develop RFPs/RFIs, oversee product evaluations, coordinate product and service selections, and ensure that pricing, terms, and conditions for supplier contracts meet TCH procurement, City of Toronto (IT Shared Services) and ITS standards while achieving optimal results for the TCH.
- Coordinate ITS projects/resources with the IT project management office (PMO) to ensure all project deliverables, budgets, and timelines are met.
- Provide well-considered counsel to the VP/ITS, and other business operating unit leaders on:
- Emerging infrastructure and ITS services and technologies having characteristics likely to provide benefit to the efficiency or improved customer service of TCH operations.
- Opportunities to apply new technologies or other solutions to challenges facing our business operating units, facilities, agency partners and/or tenant services.
- Changes or emerging risks in supplier or product status and capabilities, standards and protocols, or other industry, market, or technology factors that may influence or impact ITS systems and processes.
What you’ll need
- 10+ years of leadership experience managing and/or directing large IT data center and/or network and infrastructure operational teams preferred.
- University degree in engineering, or computer science. Post graduate degree preferred.
- Industry recognized networking certification preferred (i.e. CNE).
- Extensive knowledge of data center operations, telecommunications, network engineering, data center applications, client/server computing, Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS), Software as a Service (SaaS) and production operations support.
- Specific technologies of note include but not limited to Microsoft Server & Client operating system and infrastructure applications, Cisco Voice and Networking, VMware, Citrix, EMC and/or NetApp Enterprise-level SANs, Cisco Server infrastructures, and multi-carrier WANs.
- Experience in related IT disciplines such as data center operations, hardware platforms, enterprise software applications, database administration and outsourced systems.
- Strong leadership and management abilities. Ability to lead cross functional project teams in implementing projects of a complex nature.
- Demonstrated critical thinking and planning at a strategic, organizational level.
- Ability to translate strategic plans into specific objectives, and to create and execute project plans to achieve objectives.
- Strong financial management skills in budgeting, forecasting, and cost control.
- A deep understanding of the interdependent relationship between infrastructure, information security and the applications/services they enable as well as the criticality of maintaining strong connections between the respective teams within IT.
- Persuasive, professional communication style. Capable of communicating complex, technical topics to a wide variety of audiences. Ability to interact with senior management and influence decision makers.
- Flexibility to adapt to rapidly changing conditions and priorities, and to redirect managers and teams toward new objectives.
- Excellent understanding of multi-disciplinary nature of IT solutions.
- Ability to see the "big picture" across such areas as private and public hosted infrastructure and services, identity management, security, telecommunications, enterprise storage and big data opportunities, end user experience, and training/education.
- Functional understanding of project management principles and their application to Infrastructure projects and teams. Formal project management expertise preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to apply technology solutions to business problems.
- Must have strong organizational skills and multi-tasking capabilities and excellent written and spoken communication skills.
- Strong people management skills to lead and motivate a large team of direct and indirect reports
- Knowledge of industry recognized infrastructure technology compliance standards.
- Knowledge of community housing, real estate or REIT industry desirable but not essential.
- Experience working in a unionized environment is preferred.
Once you apply, we’ll review your resume and cover letter to determine if your skills and experience match the qualifications for the role. Only qualified candidates will be contacted to move forward in the hiring process. If you are contacted, the process will include an interview, written/practical test, and reference check.