Make a difference
At Toronto Community Housing we pride ourselves on fostering an environment of collaboration and respect. In the Director of Enterprise Architecture role, you will build strong internal and external relationships and play an integral part in transforming Toronto Community Housing for the future.
Under the general direction of the Vice President, Information Technology and Systems (ITS), this role is responsible for the Enterprise Architecture function throughout Toronto Community Housing (TCH). This includes enterprise systems, applications, mobile apps, data, mobile technology, digital technologies, body worn devices and smart technology architecture. This role is part of the ITS leadership team and therefore is expected to positively impact the overall delivery of information technology services as part of the technology team’s mission.
What you’ll do
- Provide enterprise architecture vision, enable innovation and leverage IT trends that can create business value consistent with TCH requirements and expectations.
- Create, maintenance and manage enterprise-wide IT architecture models and their associated lower level components which support all TCH business operating units.
- Interpret, use and apply information contained within the ITS architecture to inform a range of business improvement (transformation) activities, particularly those involved in the design, development, enhancement and maintenance of ITS support systems.
- Build a multi-year sustainable enterprise architecture blueprint.
- Ensure that the overall ITS architecture is maintained in a coherent manner and that appropriate considerations are made for its security and quality.
- Lead an extremely talented team of geographic information systems (GIS), security, data and architecture professionals who with others define, manage and support the entire enterprise architecture operation for TCH.
- Plan future skill requirements, skill development strategies and resources, Personnel levels based on project and operational demands, and in coordination with ITS directors, professional and personal development for all members of enterprise architecture team.
- Motivate, organize, mentor, enterprise architecture team members.
- Participate in ITS strategic planning, project planning and budget planning efforts.
- Analyze technology trends and develop infrastructure strategy, architecture, and delivery processes designed for agility and cost effectiveness.
- Establish and maintain strong, strategic partnerships with TCH business operating units.
- Develop RFPs/RFIs, oversee product evaluations, coordinate product and service selections, and ensure that pricing, terms, and conditions for supplier contracts meet TCH procurement, City of Toronto (IT Shared Services) and ITS standards while achieving optimal results for the TCH.
- Coordinate ITS projects/resources with the IT project management office (PMO) to ensure all project deliverables, budgets, and timelines are met.
- Ensure that the respective business, applications, data and technology perspectives are in line with the organization’s technology and governance strategies, policies and standards.
- Provide well-considered counsel to the VP/ITS, and other business operating unit leaders on:
- Emerging enterprise architecture and ITS services and technologies having characteristics likely to provide benefit to the efficiency or improved customer service of TCH operations.
- Opportunities to apply new technologies or other solutions to challenges facing our business operating units, facilities, agency partners and/or tenant services.
- Changes or emerging risks / opportunities related to the organizational adoption of new technologies.
What you’ll need
- 15 + years’ of leadership experience managing and/or directing large IT teams.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field. Master’s degree or MBA preferred.
- Industry recognized certification or designation in enterprise architecture preferred.
- Experience as the enterprise architect or technical lead for at least one major enterprise systems implementation or digital transformation initiative where an architecture blueprint was designed, enhanced or augmented for future organizational growth.
- Experience with Service Oriented Architecture (SOA).
- Extensive knowledge of and experience with a recognized enterprise architecture framework such as The Open Group Architecture Framework (TOGAF).
- Extensive knowledge of and experience with Software as a Service (SaaS) solutions, open source software and client server systems.
- Experience in related IT disciplines such as software engineering, digital services, enterprise software applications, Cloud based solutions and /or enterprise architecture.
- Strong leadership and management abilities. Ability to lead cross functional project teams in implementing projects of a complex nature.
- Demonstrated critical thinking and planning at a strategic, organizational level.
- Ability to translate strategic plans into specific objectives, and to create and execute project plans to achieve objectives.
- Strong financial management skills in budgeting, forecasting, and cost control.
- A deep understanding of the interdependent relationship between infrastructure, information security and the applications/services they enable as well as the criticality of maintaining strong connections between the respective teams within IT.
- Persuasive, professional communication style. Capable of communicating complex, technical topics to a wide variety of audiences. Ability to interact with senior management and influence decision makers.
- Flexibility to adapt to rapidly changing conditions and priorities, and to redirect managers and teams toward new objectives.
- Excellent understanding of multi-disciplinary nature of IT solutions.
- Ability to see the "big picture" across such areas as private and public hosted services. Best practices and emerging trends specific to leading architecture models, anywhere any time access to applications, data visualization, end user experience and digital engagement.
- Functional understanding of project management principles and their application to architecture projects and teams. Formal project management expertise preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to apply technology solutions to business problems.
- Must have strong organizational skills and multi-tasking capabilities and excellent written and spoken communication skills.
- Knowledge of leading practices in architecture design.
- Knowledge of community housing, real estate or REIT industry desirable but not essential.
- Experience working in a unionized environment is preferred.
Once you apply, we’ll review your resume and cover letter to determine if your skills and experience match the qualifications for the role. Only qualified candidates will be contacted to move forward in the hiring process. If you are contacted, the process will include an interview, written/practical test, and reference check.