Make a difference
Are you passionate about Information Technology and looking for an opportunity to work with an organization that is dedicated to improving the lives of residents from diverse backgrounds? Do you want to use your leadership experiences to influence community growth? If this sounds like your ideal career, then Toronto Community Housing is the place for you! We are searching for a collaborative and strategic leader who enjoys working in a dynamic and energetic environment.
Under the general direction of the Vice President, Information Technology and Systems (ITS), this Director of Solution and Integration role is responsible for the conceptualization, design, implementation, configuration, integration and support of all software systems, solutions and applications utilized throughout Toronto Community Housing (TCH). This includes enterprise systems, business operating units’ applications, mobile apps for staff and residents, TCH website, TCH intranet, digital marketing and branding, and software as a service (SaaS) solutions. This role is part of the ITS leadership team and therefore is expected to positively impact the overall delivery of information technology services as part of the technology team’s mission and will lead the solutions / software / applications component of the integrated housing management solution implementation for TCH.
What you’ll do
- Lead an extremely talented team of applications developers, applications support and web developers, who with others define, manage and support the entire enterprise architecture operation for TCH.
- Provide applications vision, enable innovation and leverage emerging software trends that can create business value consistent with TCH requirements and expectations.
- Plan future skill requirements, skill development strategies and resources, Personnel levels based on project and operational demands, and in coordination with ITS directors, professional and personal development for all members of the applications development, support and integration team.
- Motivate, organize, mentor, the applications development, support and integration team members.
- Maintain transitional legacy systems while implementing new enterprise solutions, applications and apps.
- Leverage industry specific software solutions and emerging software technologies and platforms to inform a range of business improvement (transformation) activities, particularly those involved in the transition, replacement and improvement of ITS support systems.
- Build a multi-year sustainable systems and applications roadmap.
- Coordinate ITS projects/resources with the IT project management office (PMO) to ensure all project deliverables, budgets, and timelines are met.
- Ensure that the overall ITS systems and applications are maintained in a coherent manner and that appropriate considerations are made for its security and quality.
- Ensure software license compliance across all ITS software assets.
- Ensure that the respective business, systems, applications, software as a service (SaaS) and mobile apps perspectives are in line with the organization’s technology and governance strategies, policies and standards.
- Participate in ITS strategic planning, project planning and budget planning efforts.
- Analyze technology trends and develop solutions and applications strategy and delivery processes designed for agility and cost effectiveness.
- Establish and maintain strong, strategic partnerships with TCH business operating units.
- Develop RFPs/RFIs, oversee product evaluations, coordinate product and service selections, and ensure that pricing, terms, and conditions for supplier contracts meet TCH procurement, City of Toronto (IT Shared Services) and ITS standards while achieving optimal results for the TCH.
- Provide well-considered counsel to the VP/ITS, and other business operating unit leaders on:
- Emerging and industry specific solutions, software and ITS services and technologies having characteristics likely to provide benefit to the efficiency or improved customer service of TCH operations.
- Opportunities to apply new technologies or other solutions to challenges facing our business operating units, facilities, agency partners and/or tenant services.
- Changes or opportunities / risks, business process and business model impacts related to the organizational adoption of new software solutions.
What you’ll need
- University degree in engineering, or computer science. Post graduate degree preferred.
- 10+ years of leadership experience managing and/or directing software development, systems integration or systems implementation teams.
- Strong experience managing a team of approximately 3 direct reports and 14 indirect reports.
- In-depth experience in enterprise systems implementation which should include configuration, customization and integration (interoperability) with other corporate systems and with backend financial, human resources, procurement, and legal systems.
- In-depth experience in building and managing teams of developers using technologies such as SharePoint, MySQL, Visual Basic5, .NET, PHP, C#/C++, Microsoft.NET, HTML5.
- Experience with Microsoft/Office on premise and /or Microsoft/Office 365.
- Experience using software development platforms (i.e. OutSystems or others).
- Experience managing a systems and applications environment comprised of cloud-based solutions, client/server applications and open source software.
- Experience leading the configuration of corporate business operating unit applications for mobile workforce usage.
- Experience leading the development of mobile apps.
- Experience leading website refresh initiatives.
- Experience leading intranet refresh initiatives.
- Experience in change management and/or Industry recognized certification in change management preferred.
- Knowledge of community housing, real estate or REIT industry desirable but not essential.
- Experience working in a unionized environment is preferred.
Once you apply, we’ll review your resume and cover letter to determine if your skills and experience match the qualifications for the role. Only qualified candidates will be contacted to move forward in the hiring process. If you are contacted, the process will include an interview, written/practical test, and reference check.