Make a difference
At Toronto Community Housing we pride ourselves on fostering an environment of collaboration and respect. In the Director of Data and Analytics role, you will build strong internal and external relationships and play an integral part in transforming Toronto Community Housing for the future.
Under the general direction of the Vice President, Information Technology and Systems (ITS), this Director of Data and Analytics role is responsible for database management which includes the privacy, security, stewardship, development, optimization and maintenance all TCH data repositories used throughout Toronto Community Housing (TCH). This includes collaborating with operating units to create a comprehensive organizational data strategy, enabling accessibility to “shared data”, creating business operating unit specific data repositories and initiating an organizational transition to big data accessibility. This role is part of the ITS leadership team and therefore is expected to positively impact the overall delivery of information technology services as part of the technology team’s mission.
What you’ll do
- Lead an extremely talented team of database analysts, data architects analytics specialist who with others define, manage and support the entire data and analytics operation for TCH.
- Lead the organization in the creation and development of a multi-year sustainable data strategy and roadmap.
- Ensure that all TCH data is maintained in a coherent manner and that appropriate considerations are made for its security and quality.
- Ensure compliance with data privacy, retention and access legislation
- Plan future skill requirements, skill development strategies and resources, Personnel levels based on project and operational demands, and in coordination with ITS directors, professional and personal development for all members of the data and analytics team.
- Motivate, organize, mentor, the data and analytics team members.
- Introduce the concept of “data as a strategic asset” to enable innovation and leverage emerging data management trends that can create business value consistent with TCH requirements and expectations.
- Maintain transitional legacy databases while implementing trending concepts and technologies specific to meta-data, data storage, retention, access and visualization.
- Leverage analytics software solutions and emerging database technologies and platforms to inform a range of business improvement (transformation) activities, particularly those involved in the transition, replacement and improvement of ITS unstructured data.
- Participate in ITS strategic planning, project planning and budget planning efforts.
- Analyze technology trends and develop strategies and delivery processes designed for shared data, and mobile data agility and cost effectiveness.
- Establish and maintain strong, strategic partnerships with TCH business operating units.
- Develop RFPs/RFIs, oversee product evaluations, coordinate product and service selections, and ensure that pricing, terms, and conditions for supplier contracts meet TCH procurement, City of Toronto (IT Shared Services) and ITS standards while achieving optimal results for the TCH.
- Coordinate ITS projects/resources with the IT project management office (PMO) to ensure all project deliverables, budgets, and timelines are met.
- Provide well-considered counsel to the VP/ITS, and other business operating unit leaders on:
- Emerging and industry data solutions, software and ITS services and technologies having characteristics likely to provide benefit to the efficiency or improved customer service of TCH operations.
- Opportunities to apply analytics to provide insight and decision support in addressing challenges facing our business operating units, facilities, agency partners and/or tenant services.
- Changes or opportunities / risks, business process and business model impacts related to the organizational adoption of new software solutions.
What you’ll need
- University degree in math, statistics, or computer science. Post Graduate degree preferred
- 10+ years of leadership experience managing and/or directing data scientists, database analyst or database administrators.
- Strong people management experience with direct and indirect reports
- Experience leading at least one database implementation which included data architecture, analytics and/or significant organizational adoption.
- In-depth experience in rationalizing and transitioning structured, unstructured and static data into strategic a data blueprint to support new corporate systems.
- In-depth experience with data and database technology including Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server or other databases in various operating system environments such as UNIX, LINUX, Solaris and Microsoft Windows.
- Experience leading an organizational data strategy with specific metrics and KPI’s.
- Experience with meta-data and creating and testing database prototypes.
- Experience delivering data to a systems and applications environment comprised of cloud-based solutions, client/server applications and open source software.
- Experience leading an organizational migration to a “Big data” enterprise model.
- Extensive experience building and managing a team of data scientist, data analyst and database administrators.
- Industry recognized certification in data management or data architecture preferred.
- Knowledge of community housing, real estate or REIT industry desirable but not essential.
- Experience working in a unionized environment is preferred.
Once you apply, we’ll review your resume and cover letter to determine if your skills and experience match the qualifications for the role. Only qualified candidates will be contacted to move forward in the hiring process. If you are contacted, the process will include an interview, written/practical test, and reference check.