Presstran Industries, a division of Magna International located in St. Thomas, Ontario, has developed an enviable reputation as a supplier to the automotive industry known for the high quality of its product and the excellence of its service. Presstran's lines of automotive stampings and welding assemblies are used in front motor compartments, underbody structures, truck frame components and front and rear suspensions as well as non-automotive applications
The position is responsible for the development, maintenance and continuous improvement of all Material Handling processes and systems including packaging (design, testing and maintenance), flow, and plant layout.
1. Apply Lean Manufacturing principles and methods to develop efficient material handling processes, including storage and flow
2. Manage the maintenance and repair of current container fleet
3. Work with Materials Planning Leader to ensure that P.F.E.P. and plant layout are up to date
4. Support new business quoting process with packaging recommendation including pack densities, design concepts and fleet sizes
5. Develop, documentation and train team members on efficient material flow routes
6. Responsible for the design of the containers (internal containers and guidance on customer owned)
7. Must be capable of handling projects from inception to completion (timing, concept, feasibility, design, construction, try-out, launch and final buy off)
8. Manages all customer related packaging issues
9. Helps to manage bank builds and engineering changes with alternate container concepts
10. Works closely with Purchasing and The Mills to ensure delivery/availability of material as required.
11. Continuously reviews and improves packaging densities
12. Maintain all documentation within regards to packaging (internal and external)
13. Participate in line design/layout meetings to ensure that maximum efficiency is achieved within regards to material delivery, material flow and container utilization
14. Coordinate process improvements for current operations
15. Abides by all plant health, safety, environmental regulations, policies, and procedures.
16. Follows and adheres to requirements of current customer quality and environmental management systems standards
17. Performs other related duties as required.
Knowledge and Education
1. Engineering Degree / Diploma in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering and/or equivalent of five year's work experience in the automotive sector with focus on packaging and material flow
2. Exceptional organizational, interpersonal and problem solving skills
3. Experience in Lean and JIT
4. Demonstrated understanding and knowledge of Automotive OEM packaging guidelines, processes and requirements
5. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs and CAD
6. Experience in Control Plans, F.M.E.A., A.P.Q.P. and P.F.E.P.
7. Experience in a metal stamping environment is an asset
Skills and Competencies
EQUIPMENT and/or PRODUCT FAMILIARITY: Equipment: General office equipment such as PC, Phone, Copier Software: AS/400 reporting software, Microsoft Office, CMS, CAD.
The Material Conveyance Engineering Co-ordinator works under general direction of the Materials Area and Department Leader with minimum supervision and refers problems/irregular occurrences to Area Leader. The Material Conveyance Engineering Co-ordinator confers routinely with division/customer staff specialists. The Material Conveyance Engineering Co-ordinator requires excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, to give/exchange information. The Material Conveyance Engineering Co-ordinator must be able to work in various locations within and outside of Presstran and must be able to work outside of normal office hours to meet deadlines and project timing requirements.
No phone calls please. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Magna International Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations for disabilities in relation to the job selection process are available upon request.