Do you have experience in laboratory management? Bring your leadership and knowledge to this unique opportunity within the Ministry of Transportation.
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will:
• manage the activities of the section, including the effective management of facilities, technology, financial and human resources, for the provision of specialized engineering laboratory testing services to support all aspects of highway engineering, materials engineering and construction for the division and ministry
• provide leadership in the development, review, monitoring and implementation of ministry policies, standards, operating guidelines, specifications and corporate management database systems related to engineering materials testing
• provide input into the development of provincial policies, procedures, standards, guidelines, legislation, operational and strategic plans that support government and ministry direction
• provide professional engineering expertise and support in the resolution of materials testing and related problems
How do I qualify?
• Must be licensed by Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO)
• You can effectively motivate and lead a multi-functional, multi-disciplinary technical staff in achievement of section goals, priorities and business plans
• You can manage corporate human resources management processes, including performance management cycle and learning plans
• You have demonstrated managerial, administrative and budgetary skills to plan, direct and oversee the section
• You know human resources principles and can interpret and apply Collective Agreement provisions in order to deal appropriately with staff issues, including responding to grievances
• You can prepare, implement fiscal and performance budgets, multi-year and annual work plans, and monitor and report on budget allocations
• You can develop and implement the overall direction and testing activities for the Section
• You know all aspects of field and laboratory testing or evaluation, and can apply test results, data analysis techniques and statistical methods
• You know Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations as it is applicable to the section, and have an understanding of supervisory responsibilities under the OHSA
• You know and can use computer software packages, databases and Internet to prepare correspondence, memoranda and prepare reports and presentations
• You know theory, principles, practices and analytical methods of materials engineering and laboratory testing
• You can apply your knowledge to the performance of engineering materials related to highway design, construction and maintenance operations, including ministry specifications, standards, special provisions and national and international protocols
• You can set overall direction for the studies, investigations, and pilot projects of innovative or new systems products, materials and equipment
• You can analyze current processes and identify opportunities for continuous improvement
• You can identify complex and contentious operational issues, determine cause and effect relationships and bring about resolution
• You can deal effectively with complex technical issues or problems which may be politically sensitive and/or have a major impact on industry
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
• You can establish and maintain effective working relationships and linkages with a range of audiences, including senior management, colleagues, industry stakeholders, associations, academia and technical committees
• You can coordinate support and resources from a variety of sources to expedite ministry and industry partnering and research activities
• You can represent the ministry on internal and external technical, administrative and standard setting bodies
• You can participate on committees and learned societies and maintain awareness of new technologies and opportunities
Salary Range: $88,908 - $124,206 per year
- 1 Permanent, 145 Sir William Hearst Ave, Toronto, Toronto Region
Please apply online, only, by Tuesday, May 16, 2017, by visiting www.ontario.ca/careers and entering Job ID 107165 in the Job ID search field. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.