PROJECT MANAGER, BUILDING DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION
Reference #: 102407
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Reporting to the Manager of Building Design and Construction, this position is responsible for effective and efficient project development and/or project management to meet legislative requirements and City standards. The projects include state of good repair, interior office space alterations and renovations, additions and the construction of new facilities. There are multiple teams within the Building Design and Construction Division that provide specific lines of service including capital project development (state of good repair and new facility), interior design, and capital project implementation. It is intended that the Project Managers are interchangeable between teams. This opportunity has a focus to provide building envelope and structural expertise to the team that applies sound engineering principles in the development of the annual capital budget to maintain City facilities in a state of good repair.
- Project Development: Responsible for the development of projects and work orders from start to finish. This includes developing projects for funding approval including site visits, inspections and establishing the project scope, budget and schedule. Must have solid understanding of construction planning, engineering and architecture to develop hard and soft cost budget estimates. Identify all risks associated with the project and assign contingencies to manage the risks. Understand all implications and establish priorities and recommendations in the context of the City’s multi-year capital plans, Corporate Strategic Plan, funding requirements and funding limitations.
- Project Management: Responsible for all aspects of leading the project from start to finish. Provide expertise and technical/professional knowledge to advise other professionals in the delivery of project services to clients. Prepare and evaluate procurement documents and Consultant proposals and make recommendations for Council approval. Work collaboratively with other departments, committees and various advisory groups. Plan, schedule and coordinate all activities related to successfully implementing state of good repair, interior office moves, renovations, additions and the construction of new facilities. Provide advice, guidance and technical assistance for all projects. Coordinate the design and development of project drawings and specifications. Make recommendations in accordance with legislation and Corporate Standards. Foster a positive working relationship with clients, area municipalities and other Government bodies to ensure a coordinated approach to construction. This oversight during the conceptual design continues through the tender phase, as well as construction and commissioning phases. Prepare project contracts and use expertise to read and interpret drawings and specifications. Apply technical knowledge to all site plan approvals, building/fire codes and accessibility guidelines and construction techniques. Develop risk management and action plans, monitor risks, take the appropriate proactive action to minimize potential negative impact of the risks on the project and report on risk responses. Administration duties include creating the capital project synopsis reports, project charter, project schedules and governance.
- Project Human Resource Leadership: Manage project teams including staff, external consultants and contractors to effectively implement new construction and renovations. Identify tasks and assign responsibilities. Have overall responsibility for schedules and project budget, track progress, provide day-to-day guidance for decision-making, inspect and supervise work. Provide all aspect of supervisory responsibilities including labour relations and mentoring to staff. Ensure the effective and efficient resolution of issues.
- Financial Accountability: Translates all project activities and scope into an itemized budget breakdown. Identifies all risks and assign appropriate contingencies to effectively manage the potential impact on the project. Ensures that projects are regularly and accurately updated using cost control financial tracker. Coordinate the procurement process with Purchasing, Legal and project stakeholders. Ensure high quality project delivery within the agreed budget and schedule. Analyze the impact of project deferrals, cost overruns, delays and informs client groups. Recommend measures to ensure the project requirements are addressed accordingly.
- Reporting: Prepares Capital Project Synopsis Reports and plays a key role in the prioritization of the annual capital budget submission for decision makers to make informed strategic funding decisions. Effectively coordinate all documentation, including all correspondence from architects, engineers, building inspectors, contractors and sub-contractors. Prepare detailed and timely status and progress reports on projects, attend meetings to present reports as required (i.e. Council, Committee meetings, various advisory and steering committee meetings). Create and implement a communication strategy for all projects to keep stakeholders informed of status. Attend public meetings to make presentations and respond to queries about construction projects. Ensure all closeout documents are acceptable. Establish and maintain project information to support management information systems (e.g. cost control sheet, quantity survey data, etc.)
- Advises and Recommends: Uses technical/professional expertise and knowledge to analysis or compose or interpret technical reports, provide recommendations and direction to other professionals in the delivery of project services to clients. Evaluate tender documents, engineering reports and consultant proposals and makes recommendations for Council approval. Work collaboratively with other departments, committees and various advisory groups. Provide advice, guidance and technical assistance for all construction and renovation projects throughout the organization.
- University degree in Engineering or Architecture or an equivalent combination of education and experience in the application of the principles and practices of design and construction.
- Over 5 years of progressive project development and/or implementation experience, in state of good repair, renovation and multi-phased major building projects, preferably in the public sector. Specific project experience in the assessment and restoration/replacement of building envelope and structural components is preferred.
- Strong administrative and budgetary skills involving building capital programs and operating budgets.
- Over 5 years experience in performing building condition assessments, capital project validations, managing professional staff, consultants, construction firms and general contractors and leading project teams.
- Eligible for, or holds a professional designation and membership/licensure in good standing with OAA, or PEO, or PMI is preferred.
- Knowledge and application of project management methodologies, construction techniques and materials.
- Demonstrated knowledge of applicable codes and government legislation including (but not limited to) the Occupational Health and Safety Act and its Regulations, the Construction Lien Act, The National Fire Code, Ontario Building Code, Construction Standards Association, etc.
- Extensive working knowledge of contract documents including CCDC, OAA Document 600, etc.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills (English). Demonstrated presentation and interpersonal skills to deal effectively with staff, political representatives, consultants, contractors and the public.
- Computer proficiency and experience with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, MS Project), AutoCAD and software applicable to construction projects.
** Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
Job status: Permanent
Job Type: Non-Union
Applications must be received by June 27, 2017
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
| || |
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online at: www.brampton.ca/employment or via www.workopolis.com quoting reference #102407 by June 27, 2017 and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.