The Junior Electrical Engineer is responsible for the preliminary electrical designs for residential and commercial projects from conception to permits, tender and preparation of construction documents and specifications. The engineer will follow the project strategy defined by the senior engineer and the review process to ensure the design complies with the client and jurisdictional requirements.
General Purpose and Responsibilities:
This role will include elements of technical design, client interaction, multitasking on more than one project, comply with deliverables, timelines and project budget. His or her basic design knowledge of power distribution, lighting and building systems including, fire alarm, security and communication will facilitate while working closely with QEL's clients and senior engineers to fulfill projects from inception through completion.
Teamwork will be a task to be fulfilled by the junior electrical engineer working with the rest of the team here at QEL through cooperation using individual skill and providing constructive feedback as a coordinated effort in the interest of a common goal.
Main Job Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Develop preliminary design, estimations and engineering specifications such as lighting, normal and emergency power distribution, cabling, communication, fire alarms and other related systems.
- Preparing technical writing such as client reports, detailed design, and equipment also construction spec, calculations and layouts.
- Coordinate with other disciplines in planning and executing project tasks.
- Developing and updating project specifications.
- Developing material takeoffs and cost estimates.
- Ensuring all completed work conforms to contract requirements.
- Conducting site visits/surveys, inspections and capture of building conditions, components and systems.
- Develop feasibility studies.
- Prepare calculations for sizing and selection of power systems, cable and panel schedules, drawing lists, specifications and datasheets.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering.
- 3 to 5 years’ experience as an Electrical Engineer and designer.
- Basic understanding of quality standards relative to engineering design and planning, also engineering fundamentals and principles.
- Knowledge of construction methods and installation details related to electrical equipment and with codes and standards: OESC, CSA, IEEE, OBC and NFC.
- Proficiency in CAD Software including AutoCAD, Excel, MS Word, and MS Project.
- Proficiency with BIM/REVIT platform is an asset.
- Solid written and verbal English communication skills.
- Ability to demonstrate capacity and organizational skills to handle multiple project and tasks.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.