Flood Risk Specialist
Alberta Environment and Parks, Edmonton. We support Albertans in being proud stewards of air, land, water, and biodiversity by leading the work required for the desired environmental outcomes and sustainable development of natural resources.
For more information about the Ministry of Environment and Parks, please visit our website at: http://aep.alberta.ca/
The recent flood events in Alberta have highlighted the need for a risk based, scientific approach to provincial flood and river risk management. Reporting to the Senior Manager of Resilience Strategy, and working closely with the River Engineering and Technical Services Section, the Flood Risk Specialist is the provincial expert responsible for the development and delivery of flood risk assessment based programs and products. As the successful candidate, you will play a critical role in the development and implementation of emerging provincial flood risk technology/products that will directly support Premier-mandated goal of increased future river and flood resilience within the province. This will entail determining what product options to include in the provincial program and ensuring development encompasses implementation strategies that are aligned with desired flood and risk management outcomes. You will work closely with a supporting team of technical engineers and technologists and there will be a requirement to support provincial emergency operations during crucial periods. You will do so by acting as the subject matter expert for emergency management personnel at the provincial or department level.
Salary: $3,523.30 to $4,676.79 bi-weekly ($91, 958 to $122, 064 annually). Closing Date: Until Suitable Candidate Found. Job ID # 1043077.
Qualifications: A degree in Engineering combined with a minimum of 10 years of hydrotechnical related experience is required. A post-graduate degree (Masters or PhD) is preferred. Equivalencies will be considered. Preference will be given to candidates that have experience in the development and implementation of current and emerging hydrological modes related to flood mapping and flood management. Demonstrated experience working with legislation, policy, regulations and guidelines especially with the Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act (EPEA) and the Water Act will be considered an asset. Candidates must be eligible for membership with APEGA.
Competencies are behaviours that are essential to reach our goals in serving Albertans. We encourage you to have an in-depth understanding of the competencies that are required for this opportunity and to be prepared to demonstrate them during the recruitment process. The links below will assist you with understanding competencies: http://www.psc.alberta.ca/Practitioners/?file=learning/apscompetencies/titlepage&cf=9
• SYSTEMS THINKING: You will be required to understand the authorities and governance on provincial flood and risk management and be able to make recommendations that best align with desired provincial flood and river management outcomes.
• CREATIVE PROBLEM SOLVING AND JUDGEMENT: Informed decision making and the ability to assess options and implications in order to identify a series of solutions will be important aspects of this position. Today's complex environmental problems require the ability to provide well informed options and innovative solutions which this position is expected to bring to the organization.
• BUILDS COLLABORATIVE ENVIRONMENTS: A critical success factor of this position is the ability to develop and maintain close working relationships with stakeholders and other government agencies to identify priorities and to understand and respond collectively to existing and emerging flood management issues through multi-stakeholder process.
• DEVELOP SELF AND OTHERS:You will be expected to provide advice, guidance and mentoring to other branch members and in certain cases will direct staff on various aspects of flood related programs and products.
• DRIVE FOR RESULTS: Strong project management, organizational abilities, and the ability to manage a number of complex issues while still delivering results, maintaining accountability, and achieving outcomes is key.
This position may be used to fill future vacancies across the Government of Alberta, at equal or lower classification and salary.
What we offer:
• Comprehensive benefits plan: http://www.psc.alberta.ca/employees/DocList134.cfm
• Pension plan: http://www.pspp.ca/members/publications/PSPP_Member_Handbook.pdf
• Health Spending Account: http://www.psc.alberta.ca/Practitioners/?file=benefits/healthspendingacct/overview&cf=2
• Leadership and mentorship programs
• Professional learning and development
• Positive workplace culture and work-life balance
Online applications are preferred at www.jobs.alberta.ca. Applicants are advised to provide information that clearly and concisely demonstrates how their qualifications meet the advertised requirements, including education, experience and relevant examples of required competencies.
Note: As only one file can be uploaded, please ensure your cover letter, resume and any other related documents are submitted in one file. Please ensure that this document is saved using the naming convention of your last then first name (Smith,Joe_Resume). Applicants who apply online will be able to track the status of this competition.
If you are unable to apply online, please submit your cover letter and resume, quoting the Job ID, to: Melissa Mangal at 780-422-5887.
It is recommended that applicants who have obtained educational credentials from outside of Canada and have not had them previously assessed, obtain an evaluation of their credentials from the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) - http://work.alberta.ca/iqas It is recommended that applicants include the assessment certificate from IQAS or any other educational assessment service as part of their application.
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates' qualifications most closely match the advertised requirements. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
If you require any further information on this job posting, please contact Melissa Mangal at 780-422-5887.
If this competition is closed as per the closing date noted above, please continue to check http://www.jobs.alberta.ca for a listing of current career opportunities with the Government of Alberta.