The Opportunity: Manager, Engineering Services
The Town of High River is seeking a Manager of Engineering Services to provide oversight and direction to the Engineering Services division. As a member of their Engineering team you will have the opportunity to work on important projects that are helping to shape the future of the town. You can enjoy working
In this hands-on, working management role, you will be actively involved in the day-to-day activities and decisions of the division. The division consists of a diverse team of Engineering Services, Safety Codes, Infrastructure Planning, and Parks Planning. This position reports to the Director of Engineering, Planning & Operational Services. The manager provides technical information, advice and assistance to other departments within the organization, external stakeholders, and the public. Other duties may include: overseeing engineering reviews of development proposals, conducting reviews on challenging developments, and other related responsibilities. This position provides the opportunity to mentor and assist in the development of staff around the core competencies required for their respective areas of expertise.
The position entails moderate levels of mental stress and pressure. This role requires a proactive and flexible approach in a complex and dynamic Municipal environment... The work is of a highly complex nature and requires understanding of the Town’s needs and considerable sensitivity towards numerous stakeholders.
The manager’s primary responsibility is managing, leading, planning, coordinating and administering the operations and programs related to Engineering Services, Safety Codes, Infrastructure Planning, and Parks Planning. This includes design activities, developing and overseeing the Engineering division’s staff and activities and preparing and managing operational and capital works annual budgets for the division. The manager provides technical information, advice and assistance to other departments within the organization, external stakeholders, and the public while ensuring work standards and quality are met and in accordance with regulations and appropriate risk management practices.
In addition, this position will assist in and further the Town’s asset management objectives. The manager is responsible for providing Engineering Services support for capital projects in other departments, ensuring an organizational wide approach to capital projects is maintained. This could include the full spectrum of services from project management support to guidance and education on how to run projects.
This position is a working management role that will be actively involved in the day-to-day activities and decisions on the Engineering Services division. This role will have a focus on providing support the Planning and Development Services initiatives and projects.
Staff Management and Leadership
- Mentor and develop staff around the core competencies required to maintain municipal infrastructure to acceptable industry and regulatory standards.
- Engage staff and manage overall employee performance in consultation with the Director of Engineering, Planning & Operational Services.
- Provide leadership, coaching, and support to direct reports. Promote and participate in a positive culture and work environment.
- Participate in conflict resolution.
- Oversee all engineering reviews of development proposals. This includes but is not limited to: Area Structure Plans, Functional Servicing Reports, Traffic Impact Assessments, Stormwater Management Plans, Geotechnical, Development Site Servicing Plans, etc.
- Oversee the preparation and implantation of the Offsite Levies Bylaw. This position is responsible to ensure the collection of the levies through the development process.
- Conduct reviews for major or challenging developments.
- Oversee the full engineering process for developments including pre-application, securities, reviews, inspections, issuance of CCCs, DCCs and FACs, and collection and processing of built drawings.
- Participate in the preparation of proposals, tenders, and contracts, and assist others with the process.
- Follow established project management processes for initiating, planning, executing, controlling, and closing projects.
- Develop business and resource plans, briefing notes and council reports to ensure effective infrastructure maintenance functions for the Town of High River.
- Identify, examine, and review long-term infrastructure plans.
- Develop and implement divisional and corporate operational and business plans.
- Engage interdepartmental and inter-agency coordination and cooperation of infrastructure operation and maintenance matters.
- Support and oversee the development of long range infrastructure plans such as Infrastructure Master Plan, Solid Waste, Transit, etc.
- Research, develop, and recommend new and enhanced service delivery standards as required.
- Work with the Communications division to develop communication plans to inform and advise stakeholders of ongoing operations and divisional priorities.
- Maintain contact and negotiate with senior government agencies for funding agreements to support infrastructure operations.
- Oversee the infrastructure asset management planning process to identify opportunities for the implementation of new infrastructure or the realignment of existing infrastructure policy and governance.
- Engage and assist all business units in developing and implementing infrastructure asset management planning best practices.
For this position, you possess a degree in Civil Engineering or related Engineering discipline with a P. Eng. Designation from APEGGA with eight years related experience or a Certified Engineering Technologist (CET) with 10 years related experience. You have five years’ experience in a municipal or land development role combined with a minimum three years’ experience in a management or leadership role. Additionally, you have well-developed project management competencies and working knowledge in developing budget estimates and evaluating programs/services. Your ability to provide innovative, strategic, and forward thinking will help to ensure your success in this role.
Other key characteristics:
- Well-developed project management competencies
- Working knowledge in developing budget estimates and evaluating programs/services within operational standards and resource requirements
- Working knowledge of asset and life cycle management
- Working knowledge of the land development process
- Broad knowledge of construction methods and practices
- Strong report writing abilities
- Ability to provide advice, both written and verbal, to senior management
- Highly developed innovative, strategic, and forward thinking
- Excellent business knowledge and financial management
- Proven experience in team building, leadership and supervision with a commitment for continuous improvement
- Experience with preparing and presenting strategic reports and recommendations to Senior Management, Town Council and other stakeholders
- Strong, interpersonal, leadership, negotiation and mediation skills
Key Success Factors / Core Competencies
Leadership Skills – A proven ability to create and sustain shared commitment on key municipal issues and foster innovation within the department. This shared commitment is exemplified in how the team works with one another and across organizational boundaries to achieve organizational goals and objectives.
Performance Driven – Able to create a results-driven environment that is focused on reliable and consistent service to Citizens. Objectives and results regularly documented are well communicated to all stakeholder groups.
Interpersonal and Communication Skills – Able to proactively influence people and events, ensure effective internal and external communication. Communicate effectively with individuals and groups in written and verbal forms. Well-developed public presentation skills with the ability to address Senior Management and Elected Officials.
Credible –Will be able to build rapport with various stakeholders to coordinate activities and will utilize a collaborative approach to getting the work done and will demonstrate business acumen in the pursuit of the organization’s mission statement.
Organizational/Political Savvy – Has a strong understanding of the workings of municipal government, structure and culture in order to deliver performance and customer value. Strategically and systematically evaluates the impacts of decisions on projected needs and prospective required services. Will be able to demonstrate sound judgment from a broad perspective.
Ethics and Values – The incumbent will treat people fairly and with dignity. As an individual, they are willing to admit mistakes, even in the face of adverse consequences. Their principles act as an internal compass to guide their behaviour, allowing them to uphold the personal, social, and ethical norms of the Town of High River.
Customer Focused – Will possess a positive, friendly manner and deal with challenging situations with empathy and sincerity. Will have an attitude to do whatever you can to satisfy the needs of your customers internally and externally.
A competitive compensation package will be provided including an attractive base salary and excellent benefits. Further details will be discussed in a personal interview.
For Information please contact:
Mike Kerr or Heather Fookes
Davies Park Calgary
Suite 530, 1000 – 7th Ave SW
Calgary, AB T2P 5L5
Phone: (403) 263-0600
Additional information can be found at: www.daviespark.com