Manager, Infrastructure & Capital Projects
If you’re an innovative, quality-focused Professional Engineer experienced in managing complex projects, take this opportunity to lead by example as part of the City of Markham's Engineering Department.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Infrastructure and Capital Works, and drawing on your civil engineering expertise, you will be responsible for the delivery of capital projects, including environmental assessments (EA), detailed design, utility relocation, property acquisition, tendering and project management. The supervision of engineering staff will be an integral part of your role as Manager.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (DELIVERABLES)
More specifically, as a Manager, Infrastructure & Capital Projects, you will:
- Directly supervise full-time and contract staff, including the review of development and training needs of the group.
- Retain consultants and supervise/manage staff to undertake Class EA Studies, detailed design, utility relocation and property acquisition of various engineering capital projects, including roads, bridges, sewers, watermains, watercourses, streetlighting and sidewalks.
- Coordinate project activities and provide direction to Capital Works Engineers for the implementation of capital programs, ensuring that all work is completed within budget and schedule, and to the highest technical and professional standards.
- Prepare RFP / RFQ documents as it relates to consultant selection of Class EA, detailed design, and contract administration of capital projects.
- Prepare and evaluate tender documents, ensuring process conforms to the Purchasing By-Law.
- Assist the Senior Manager, Infrastructure and Capital Works, in managing the capital budget, including financial management of capital projects in accordance with the City’s financial by-laws and policies.
- Oversee the negotiation, completion and coordination of agreements (cost-sharing agreements, multi-party agreements, maintenance agreements, etc.) required for capital projects.
- Coordinate and negotiate property acquisition with the Property Section, as required.
- Create and manage inter-divisional and cross-commission teams to identify and address permit requirements from agencies for capital projects (i.e., TRCA, MNRF, DFO, MTO, MOECC, etc.).
- Participate as a member of the Project Management Office team.
- Oversee the implementation of updating capital projects in the project management software, including conducting regular audits to ensure that project status is updated in a timely manner.
- Provide updates to the Senior Manager, Infrastructure and Capital Works, and the Director of Engineering of any anticipated issues and recommended solutions on capital projects (Class EA, design and construction).
- Attend and represent the group in reviewing and providing comments to any updates on the City’s policies, guidelines and standards.
- Represent the City of Markham in Regional/Provincial/Federal Projects (within Markham).
- Identify program delivery impacts of emerging issues and activities, as well as recommend and coordinate innovative solutions using sound professional judgement, conflict resolution and negotiation skills to successfully manage sensitive and controversial matters pertaining to capital project delivery.
- Perform all other duties, as assigned.
Bring your expertise and passion for excellence to this role as Manager, Infrastructure & Capital Projects:
- You have successfully completed a degree in Civil Engineering from an accredited university.
- You are registered as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) with Professional Engineers Ontario.
- You possess at least nine (9) years’ experience in any or all aspects of road, bridge, storm sewer, watermain or sanitary sewer design, with a demonstrated commitment to design quality and process as well as complex project management experience.
- You hold a valid Ontario Class G driver’s licence and have access to a reliable vehicle for use on corporate business.
- You are computer literate, utilizing MS Office applications in a Windows environment.
- You possess the demonstrated project management skills required to lead a project or work group, organize numerous tasks, set priorities and meet deadlines.
- You have the ability to
- negotiate/facilitate and present information to varied audiences
- apply sound customer service strategies and innovation in product delivery methods
- identify areas for constructive change and communicate issues and potential solutions to management.
- You can work outside of normal business hours, as required.
The salary range for this regular, full-time position is $103,516 to 121,827 per annum.
The City of Markham, a municipality with more than 350,000 residents, centrally located in the Greater Toronto Area, is home to over 400 corporate head offices and more than 1,100 high-tech and life science companies. Founded in the 1790s, Markham is Canada’s most diverse community, enjoying a rich heritage, outstanding community planning and services, and a vibrant local economy.
Markham has received the Excellence Canada Gold Award for Organizational Quality & Healthy Workplace, and multiple heritage and environmental awards. Committed to being a model of public service excellence, with a workforce that is representative of the population we serve, we are looking for people who share our values and are champions of innovative practices.
For more information on this Manager, Infrastructure & Capital Projects position, and to apply online by Monday, September 4, 2017, please visit our website at www.markham.ca/jobs.
We are committed to inclusive employment practices.