Play a vital role in the construction of municipal infrastructure, particularly bridges and expressways, from inception to completion in a world-class city.
As a full-time permanent Senior Engineer in Bridges, Structures and Expressways, you will provide project management, contract administration, technical expertise and engineering input on the planning, design, construction, and asset management reviews and inspections of bridges and structures such as retaining walls. The Senior Engineer oversees, reviews and directs the work of staff and engineering consultants, engages consultants/contractors by preparing bid packages, assists in the management of research and/or project operations requiring advanced engineering knowledge, and plans and co-ordinates city-wide assignments by ensuring technical accuracy and adequacy.
Your primary responsibilities as Senior Engineer will be varied, but you’ll be expected to:
- Develop, review and implement detailed plans and recommend policies regarding program specific requirements.
- Conduct research into assigned area, ensuring that such research takes into account developments within the field, corporate policies and practices, and legislation and initiatives by other levels of government.
- Responsible for project management of ongoing or annual city-wide engineering programs, special projects, engineering proposals, Capital Works Program, best practices, and other program development and new initiatives.
- Identify, evaluate and provide technical expertise and recommendations for the resolution of contract issues, compliance programs, prosecutions, property, by-law, environmental and risk management issues, and public safety in compliance with the City’s policies and by-laws.
- Ensure compliance within guidelines by acting as a signing authority.
- Manage assigned projects, ensuring effective teamwork and communication, high standards of work quality, organizational performance and continuous learning.
- Provide specialized design services, and technical advice and expertise to support the units of the Department. Modify established guides, devise new approaches, apply existing criteria in new manners and draw conclusions from comparative situations. Provide technical review on all third party, development, and excess load applications to ensure that they meet the Department’s requirements, and that there are no negative impacts on existing infrastructure.
- Advise on drawings and specifications prepared by staff, contractors, and consultants, and coordinate activities of field supervisory personnel.
- Prepare committee and Council reports, presentations, Request For Proposals, Request For Quotations, contract plans, specifications and estimates for tenders, and evaluate tendered bids and make recommendations for award of contracts. Finalize contract payments and implement quality control/quality assurance for construction.
- Oversee and evaluate the work performance of external service providers with respect to quality, timeline, cost and completion of required tasks.
- Lead multi-disciplinary project teams and supervise/direct other professional engineers and technical personnel.
- Participate in the preparation of capital and operational budgets related to assigned projects. Deal with complex cost-sharing arrangements for the construction of municipal infrastructure.
- Represent the Division/City at meetings with the public, stakeholders and councillors. Represent the Division as a technical specialist at project and organizational meetings with planners, administrators, and contractors and other external service providers, as well as hearings at the Ontario Municipal Board, court proceedings and other tribunals.
- Ensure that the project expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations.
- Secure permits and approvals, as required from external agencies.
- Perform site inspections and assessments of changed conditions on construction projects.
- Conduct technical problem investigations and participate in conducting studies, analysis, surveys, research and development for effective solution of complex engineering problems.
Establish and maintain linkages to other units in the City to co-ordinate input and ensure effective partnerships.
Your application for the role of Senior Engineer must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Must be a qualified Engineer, as defined by Professional Engineers Ontario.
- Extensive experience applying the principles of Engineering in the area of condition assessment, design, construction, and the maintenance and rehabilitation of bridges, structures and expressways.
- Extensive experience using Bridge Management Systems.
- Extensive project management experience in managing complex projects from inception through to implementation and evaluation.
- Extensive experience in managing, coordinating and administering engineering, professional services and large-scale construction projects.
- Extensive knowledge of legislation related to the Major Responsibilities of the position, including the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Extensive knowledge related to the Ministry of Transportation's Ontario Structure Inspection Manual.
- Proficiency in the use of general computer software, including Microsoft Windows XP, Excel and Word.
- Ability to read, interpret and report on engineering plans and drawings, specifications, correspondence, reports, and other documents in a timely manner.
- Highly developed ability to plan, organize and coordinate large complex projects.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, at all organizational levels.
- Ability to effectively communicate technical information to a non-technical audience.
- Highly developed personal, interpersonal and team skills, with the ability to collaborate and work effectively with contractors, colleagues, elected officials, consultants, developers and other internal and external clients and stakeholders.
- Ability to plan, supervise and direct the work of assigned staff members, and have considerable knowledge of modern principles and practices of management and management controls.
- Must possess a valid Province of Ontario Class "G" driver's licence, and have daily access to a vehicle to travel to various work locations and construction sites in a timely and efficient manner.
Salary Range: $100,773 - $118,409 per year
Work for the City you love
Toronto is Canada’s largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world’s most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture, and are proud to be the Host City for the 2017 Invictus Games. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as a Senior Engineer within our Engineering & Construction Services Division.
How to Apply:
For more information on this and other opportunities with the City of Toronto, visit us online at www.toronto.ca/jobs. To apply online, submit your resume, quoting File #2282937 X, by September 8, 2017.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.