Forbes includes U of G Among Canada’s Best Employers
Professional and Managerial Group
OVC SAS Human Resources Services & Operations - Pathobiology
Ontario Veterinary College Shared Administration Services (OVC SAS)
Hiring #: 2017-0146
Reporting to OVC’s Chief Administrative Officer, the successful candidate will serve as a member of the OVC Administrative Management Team comprised of four Administrative Managers each supporting a unique portfolio within the College. This particular portfolio includes providing administrative oversight and operational support to the department of Pathobiology as well as managing HR Services for the college as a whole.
Supporting the Department of Pathobiology, the Administrative Manager works closely with the department Chair to ensure operational effectiveness, efficiency and financial sustainability. Overseeing a base budget of $3.8M and research grants valued at approximately $12M, the Administrative Manager monitors the department’s chart of accounts and conducts financial analysis and reporting. Operational support also includes supporting general human resource activities for the department of Pathobiology to ensure adherence to collective/employee agreements and related University and Department policies and procedures.
The broader HR Services portion of this portfolio is unique to this role on the Administrative Management Team and is this person’s area of specialization. In partnership with the University of Guelph’s central Human Resources office, this position is responsible to lead, develop and deliver larger-scale Human Resources strategies, programs, procedures and practices within the Shared Administration Services framework, supporting the entire College which is made up of approximately 300 staff and faculty. Partnering with other members of the college, the Administrative Manager will lead change while advocating for a positive workplace at OVC which is a critical strategic initiative identified by OVC as part of its 2017-2022 Strategic Plan.
To be considered for this integral role, candidates must have:
- An undergraduate degree in Human Resource management or business administration combined with at least four years of experience in a similar role; designation as a Certified Human Resources Professional (CHRP) is a strong asset;
- Familiarity with the application and interpretation of collective and employee agreements and employment policies and procedures;
- Experience developing/enhancing and implementing human resources programs or procedures;
- Demonstrated commitment to cultivating a positive workplace culture;
- Knowledge of general accounting practices and procedures and experience conducting financial analysis reporting;
- A proven level of accuracy and attention to detail;
- Demonstrated analytical and problem solving skills;
- Strong relationship building & interpersonal skills combined with effective communication abilities;
- Strong initiative and leadership/supervisory abilities;
- Exceptional organizational skills and the ability to meet deadlines and adapt to changing priorities;
- An understanding and respect for confidentiality and the ability to uphold this;
- Advanced skills using the suite of Microsoft Office software, particularly Excel;
- Familiarity with an academic environment and culture is an asset.
Position Number 206-021
Professional/Managerial Salary Bands
*Tentative evaluation; subject to committee review
To view a detailed posting of this Administrative Manager role, including application instructions, please go to our website at www.uoguelph.ca/hr/. Applications, quoting Hiring #2017-0146, must be sent to: email@example.com. Closing date: Wednesday, April 26, 2017.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but wish to advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The University of Guelph is committed to equity in its policies, practices and programs, supports diversity in its teaching, learning and work environments, and ensures that applications from members of underrepresented groups are seriously considered under its employment equity policy. All qualified individuals who would contribute to the further diversification of our University community are encouraged to apply.