Administrative and Professional Staff (APSA)
IMMIGRATION CONSULTANT, GRADE 9
POSITION NUMBER: 121002
(If you applied to the original posting, you will be included in this competition.)
Under the general direction of the Director, Administrative Services, the Immigration Consultant oversees the on-going development and implementation of University-wide immigration policies and procedures that are aligned with the University’s strategic direction, while ensuring the University’s compliance with immigration law and related government agencies. Provides counsel to the University community on the interpretation of the Immigration Act and its regulations pertaining to the recruitment and retention of non-Canadian employees and their appointment/registration, with an emphasis on postdoctoral fellows, academics, and graduate assistants.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or a related field, with 5 years of immigration consulting experience in an HR environment, preferably within an academic institution, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC); member in good standing of the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC).
- Excellent knowledge of Canadian immigration law and regulations.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communications (oral and written), interpersonal, and conflict management skills.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment, tact, and diplomacy in interactions with various internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to think strategically and lead the design and implementation of immigration compliance policies.
- Ability to use standard word processing applications (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint) at an intermediate level.
- Ability to use standard information systems (e.g., PeopleSoft) at a basic level.
Salary range: $62,377 to $74,486 per annum
START DATE: ASAP
A detailed resume and cover letter quoting Competition #182 must be received in our office by 4:30 pm on
June 5, 2017, addressed to the attention of Francesca Turrell, Human Resources Advisor. Please follow the application instructions at: http://www.sfu.ca/hr/prospective_employees/HowToApply.html.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
The University is committed to the principle of equity in employment
A more detailed job description may be obtained at www.sfu.ca/jobpostings