Athabasca University, Canada's Open University, is dedicated to the removal of barriers that restrict access to and success in university-level study and to increasing equality of educational opportunity for adult learners worldwide.
Athabasca University has five faculties (Business, Health Disciplines, Humanities & Social Sciences, Science & Technology and Graduate Studies) committed to excellence in teaching, research, and scholarship and to being of service to the general public. As one of four comprehensive academic and research universities in Alberta, Athabasca University specializes in online distance education.
With an enrollment of more than 40,000 students, Athabasca University helps thousands of undergraduate and post-graduate learners every year to accomplish their personal goals and realize their dreams.
Reporting to the Manager, Labour Relations and Employment Services, the Labour Relations Specialist is a senior professional who plays a key role in guiding Athabasca University’s labour relations functions and in advising and coaching on labour relations matters. This position serves as the primary point of contact for all AU employees, unions, associations and senior management personnel with respect to labour relations issues.
Through negotiation and resolution of important labour issues and collective agreements, the Labour Relations Specialist directly affects the university’s labour relations environment. The work of the Labour Relations Specialist can also significantly affect the university’s finances and employee morale through successful and timely resolution of grievances, arbitrations, and legal issues.
Qualifications & Experience
The incumbent should ideally possess the following:
- A post-secondary degree in Human Resources, Business or related field.
- A minimum five years of human resources experience, including at least three years in a specialized labour relations role.
- Experience in union bargaining ,negotiation and grievance management, with demonstrated success in developing effective working relations with managers and union representatives
- An equivalent combination of education and experience in labour relations and human resources may be considered.
- A solid understanding of AU collective agreements, processes, policies and procedures is preferred.
- Experience working in a post-secondary environment and the CPHR certification is preferred.
For a copy of the in-depth job description, please visit our website at www.daviespark.com