Applied Research at BCIT is looking for a regular, full-time Operations Manager. This position manages the financial and operational activities for Applied Research, including relationships with external funding agencies, organizations and clients. The Operations Manager is responsible for managing the financial and non-financial systems, maintenance services, and other operational aspects of Applied Research, in alignment with the overall Institute goals. The incumbent keeps the Dean informed of important and emerging operational matters, and supports all organizational units performing research at BCIT and the strategic direction of Applied Research at the institute.
At a high level, the manager is responsible for procedures development, operational planning, financial reporting and analysis, systems development and troubleshooting, continuous process improvement to improve productivity, and project management problem solving related to Applied Research activities. The Operations Manager oversees the financial aspects of all industry services operations and external funding relationships, ensuring that they are managed consistently so that reporting and financial deliverables can be met.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Identifies business, organizational issues and data challenges of faculty, researchers, management, industry partners and external funding organizations and implements/promotes areas of improvement.
- Oversees the financial reporting, budgeting and analysis function within the Applied Research area, both internally and with external funding agencies/industry partners, and makes strategic recommendations to Directors and the Dean.
- Provides lead role as the primary contact for human resource and labour relations issues.
- Oversees the recruitment process, participating in selection committees as requested.
- Facilitates procurement of equipment and facilities, including impact analysis, lifecycle expectancy and cost-replacement benefit analysis.
- Assesses and makes recommendations to improve systems.
- Exercises professional and managerial judgment in advising and in the execution of transactions related to financial, human resources, policies and facilities matters.
- This position, in conjunction with the Deans and Directors, is responsible for budgets estimated to be between $5 million and $10 million.
- Support staff positions reporting to this position between 3 and 6.
- Works under general direction, establishing own work procedures to achieve general objectives. Work is reviewed periodically for achievement of objectives, quality and effectiveness.
WHAT THIS POSITION HAS TO OFFER:
A generous Total Compensation package which includes extended health and dental benefits and a competitive pension plan.
Professional Development Funds and opportunities for career development.
Tuition waivers for BCIT courses.
Subsidized parking and fitness facilities.
Wellness and Employee Assistance programs.
Bachelor’s Degree or Diploma and professional designation in a relevant management discipline, plus 8 to 10 years administrative experience in a research, educational or technical setting which includes a role in the preparation and administration of budgets, supervisory experience in a unionized environment, or equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
A professional accounting designation is an asset.
Demonstrated leadership skills, excellent planning, time management, and organizational skills.
Must be highly self-motivated with excellent written and oral communication skills.
Must have advanced computer literacy in office applications including MS Excel and MS Access and network administration knowledge.
Must have demonstrated budgetary (preparation and administration) and financial reporting and analysis skills.
Must be detail oriented with demonstrated creative problem solving skills.
Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills, excellent planning, time management, and organizational skills.
View the full job description here: Operations Manager, Applied Research.
START DATE: October 2, 2017.
COMPETITION NUMBER: 17M132.
OPENING DATE: June 17th, 2017.
CLOSING DATE: July 9th, 2017.
BCIT offers a competitive salary, generous benefits package and promotes an inclusive workplace. BCIT is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If selected for an interview, candidates will be required to present original copies of credentials.
To apply, visit us at careers.bcit.ca
We are only able to accept applications that are submitted on the BCIT Careers website