The Director and Chief of Staff plays a leading role in managing the activities of the Office of the President to fully implement its mandates and goals. The incumbent establishes and maintains effective channels of communication and continually liaises between various stakeholders and the Office. The incumbent works closely with the President and with senior managers on a wide variety of projects and initiatives of strategic importance. The incumbent develops and implements organizational plans and business processes, conducts analyses, makes recommendations, supervises and coordinates issues of priority to the University, leads project teams and manages the financial and human resources of the Office
The Director and Chief of Staff:
1. Plans, organizes, leads and monitors all initiatives for which the Office of the President is responsible. Advises the President on institutional issues and supports the President in implementing the University’s mandates.
2. Designs, manages and evaluates various projects and programs in a number of key areas to advance the strategic goals of the institution.
3. Advises and supports unit and service managers for which the Office is responsible by helping them plan and develop their organizations, set policies and procedures, and implement processes to ensure that their operations are efficient and effective and that they adequately meet all requirements. Liaises between the President, vice-presidents and chiefs of staff.
4. Plans and properly manages the human and financial resources of the Office so that sector needs are fully met, the President’s activities are performed regularly and consistently, and a healthy workplace atmosphere prevails.
5. Represents the President on various committees and with various organizations, occasionally acting the President’s spokesperson with government authorities and external stakeholders.
6. Coordinates the representative interactions between senior University managers and ministerial officials and government offices at various levels. Accompanies the President in his/her representative duties, as required.
7. Implements a rigorous, durable management framework for employees under his/her responsibility in order to implement institutional projects and strategies, including public relations, protocol and internal communications activities.
- Graduate degree in management or a related subject
- Fifteen (15) years’ management experience, more specifically:
- experience in creating business plans and planning documents
- experience in developing organizational performance scorecards (objectives, targets, strategies, performance indicators)
- experience in project management
- experience in organizational change management
- experience in managing financial and human resources
- In-depth knowledge of university culture and of how a university operates is an asset
- Inspirational leadership illustrating the ability to foster collaboration and motivate stakeholders and colleagues through innovation and excellence.
- Builds constructive teams that work well together to achieve results and motivate others to exceed expectations
- Outstanding communication skills to present and explain a complex ideas and issues to various audiences, both inside and outside the University
- Excellent skill in writing reports for senior management and various decision-making bodies
- Ability to evaluate and address complex issues in a clear, thoughtful manner, in order to quickly resolve them without compromising events or relationships
- Fluency in English and French (both spoken and written)
Apply for this position no later than September 24, 2017, by sending your CV and cover letter by email to:
Human Resources Advisor
We thank all candidates for applying. We will only contact candidates selected for further consideration. Any information you send us will be handled respectfully and in complete confidence.
Equity is a University of Ottawa policy; women, aboriginal peoples, members of visible minorities and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. In keeping with Citizenship and Immigration Canada requirements, preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. If you are invited to continue the selection process, please notify us of any particular adaptive measures you might require by contacting the Human Resources at 613-562-5800 ext. 1544.