The Alex: Changing Health. Changing Lives.
The Alex Community Health Centre is a not-for-profit organization that is changing how we look at health care in Calgary. Our health, housing and food programs support our most vulnerable neighbours, tackling tough health and social issues head-on.
Since 1973, our cost-effective programs have provided preventative care in a welcoming, easy to access environment, moving people from poverty to stability and from crisis to wellness. Using a multidisciplinary team approach, we focus care on assessment, intervention and promotion of all aspects of health. We embrace a model of healthcare that is accessible, responsive and participatory. In addition to its two Health Centers, we run a Youth Centre, two Mobile Community Health Buses, one Community Dental Bus, three Housing Programs, a Breast Feeding Clinic, a Community Food Centre and a Bottles4Health Program.
We are currently looking for two (2) Registered Nurses. The one for our Pathways to Housing Program is full-time and the one for our Community Health Bus is permanent part-time.
The scope of work and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Strong commitment to working with individuals living with severe and persistent mental illness and addictions.
- Strong skills in health promotion and illness prevention.
- Use principles of psychiatric rehabilitation to assist clients to move toward independent living in community residences.
- Management and administration of medication in conjunction with the Psychiatrist and Family Physician.
- Performing assessments, providing education and supporting clients directly in the community.
- Develop and facilitate health and wellness groups for clients.
- Receive training in the areas of evidence based practice such as Motivational Interviewing, Integrated Dual Disorder Treatment, Illness Management Recovery and Supported Employment.
Desired qualifications include:
- Current registration with CARNA.
- Able to work independently in the community with clients.
- Minimum of two years progressive Nursing experience working with clients with mental health and addictions disorders, homelessness, and poverty.
- Excellent communication, organizational, advocacy, teaching, and rapport-building skills.
- Able to work collaboratively in an interdisciplinary team model and innovative outreach service delivery model.
- Experience with community outreach and crisis intervention.
- Knowledge of social services and non-profit services in Calgary is an asset.
- Experience with group facilitation is an asset.
- Ability to multi-task in fast-paced environment.
- Valid driver’s license.
Please submit your resume to: email@example.com
We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
For further information about The Alex and its programs, we encourage you to visit our website at www.thealex.ca