Description of the job:
The OHN's primary focus is to provide disability management, claims adjudication, occupational health nursing services for employees, and the promote health and wellness programs that support a safe and healthy work environment. The OHN acts on behalf of the AER as a health advocate in managing the disability management process through face to face meetings with employees and other parties as necessary. The OHN will coordinate return to work programs and stay at work programs to facilitate the ongoing process of returning the employee to full potential.
- Provide early identification of illness or injury and co-ordinate early intervention care with medical practitioners of the injured/ill employee and all levels of management to expedite the early and safe return to work.
- Ensure ongoing confidential case management of all employees with occupational or non-occupational injury/illnesses as well as recommending medical intervention services to maintain employees on full duty work
- Provide and document services relating to routine, non-routine, and complex Occupational Health Care of employees and others as determined by management within the professional scope and standards of license
- Provide thorough personal or telephone interviews, arrange referrals to internal and external service providers, worksite meetings with management, People and Culture, and/or WCB, and follow up until the employee has reached full potential
- Actively participate, make recommendations, and facilitate return to work programs
- Provide coaching, guidance, and subject matter expertise to managers, and Disability Management Coordinator
- Review pre-placement medical information provided by third party for safety sensitive positions to ensure that conditionally hired employees have the ability to safely perform the essential duties of a specific job and to identify any medical conditions and/or physical limitations that may impact the employee's performance in that position
- Facilitate disability management training sessions at least on an annual basis for employee, leaders and People and Culture professionals
- Facilitates the assessment, interpretations, and evaluation of medical treatments, reports, and evaluations to compile fitness to work opinions and recommendations, including independent medical examinations and functional capacity evaluations
- Nursing Degree and/or Advanced Nursing Degree
- A minimum 5 years of Occupational Health Nursing/disability management experience
- Canadian certification in Occupational Health Nursing COHN(C) or certificate/diploma in Occupational Health Nursing
- Valid registration with the College & Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta - CARNA
- Experience with pre-placement medicals (post offer) for safety sensitive positions
- Proven track record of positive disability case management outcomes and the ability to handle a diverse client caseload
- Detailed knowledge of legal issues relevant to occupational health care
- Good working knowledge of Alberta OH&S legislation, acts and applicable regulations, WCB and Human Rights legislation
- Excellent interpersonal, planning, organizing, program management, communication (writing, speaking and listening) and decision-making skills are essential
- Proficient with computerized programs (MS Word, Excel and Outlook)
- Experience in managing information and processes using disability case management systems
- experience in clinical case management, strong understanding of clinical testing, exposure assessment and controls, health education, promotion, counselling, infectious disease control program management, and emergency preparedness and response
Additional requirements/information for candidates:
- This position is a part time position (24 - 32 hours per week); shorter hours/day but 5 days/week OR regular hours for 3-4 days per week. Schedule will be confirmed and negotiated with the successful candidate to meet the needs of the Alberta Energy Regulator.
- Occasional travel may be required.
Join the Alberta Energy Regulator and Be in Great Company!
A career should fulfill many needs. In a team of world-class thinkers who regulate how energy resources are discovered, developed and delivered your reward can go beyond a job well done. It can go to the pride and recognition that you're doing something that matters.
For 75 years Alberta's oil & gas regulator has adapted to meet innovations in technology, new industry activity and changing social expectations.
We are seeking diverse individuals with strong technical skills to join us in this exciting journey. Be everything you want to be by helping us build a legacy of excellence Albertans an count on.
How to apply:
Please go to the AER website www.aer.ca, click on the "Careers" tab, "Search Career Opportunities", search the job you are applying for, click on the APPLY NOW button and follow the instructions.
Please quote competition # 17-083 in your application.
Please note: Should an individual with the required qualifications not be available, applicants with closely related qualifications may be considered.
Deadline for applications will be Tuesday, July 18, 2017.