Project Quality Engineer
Powertech, BC Hydro's subsidiary that specializes in energy research, consulting, testing, and systems integration, has been serving electrical, oil and gas industry, and automotive and electrical utility equipment manufacturers since 1989. It operates as a separate, un-regulated, for profit, commercial entity. In addition to providing technical and technology services to BC Hydro, Powertech serves a large number of clients in energy-related sectors across North America, Asia, Europe, and South America and beyond. Powertech is located on an 11 acre, 21-lab campus in Surrey and has approximately 200 employees. Powertech’s reach and reputation is global and it is recognized as a leader in technology and testing. In particular, the Powertech brand & reputation commands a dominant position in North America.
The company's staff of professional engineers, scientists, and technologists offers a range of forward looking technology services to help clients solve complex problems, maximizing asset performance. The broad services on offer include Electrical Technology, Mechanical Technology, Applied Materials, Inspections and Asset Management, Applied Chemistry, Software Technology, Power System Studies, Energy Systems, Smart Utility and Hydrogen Gas Stations and Engineering.
Powertech has an exciting and challenging opportunity for a Project Quality Engineer to join a team of professionals based at Powertech Labs in Surrey, B.C.
The Project Quality Engineer is responsible for managing assigned projects for technical departments with a focus on Software Technologies, conducting quality audits on projects, and implementing quality initiatives.
Powertech’s Quality department is the driver for the company’s continual improvement program. We have been registered to ISO 9001 since 1997 and many of our tests are accredited to ISO 17025. Maintaining and raising the bar on our Quality allows us to distinguish ourselves from others in the field.
Powertech's Software Technologies department develops and supports a suite of leading edge software related to power system analysis and applications. At present there is significant growth in this area of the business, in particular our DSATools™ software package which is a suite of analysis tools for both off-line (system planning) and on-line (near-real-time operation) dynamic security assessment of large complex power systems.
- Work with other team members to analyze RFPs, to prepare proposals, and to participate in contract negotiation
- Conduct internal quality audits
- Act as project manager for Software Technologies to ensure on-time and on-budget delivery
- Ensure design review and design validation tasks for key software development projects are completed
- Engage in communications with clients during the project execution to address customer requirements and concerns
- Coordinate project activities, such as project progress reports, project changes, project meetings, on-site visits, training, etc.
- Coordinate and participate in software testing for customer software projects as well as for annual DSATools releases
- Coordinate with other team members on user support activities including trade shows, user group meeting, etc.
Required Education & Training
- Engineering degree from a qualified university; electrical engineering, computer engineering, management engineering, or related areas of specialty are preferred
- An advanced degree in a relevant engineering area, quality management system, PMP certification or MBA, is an asset
- Registered or eligible for registration as a Professional Engineer with the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of B.C.
Technical Skills and Experience
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience in the relevant engineering field and quality management (quality auditing, ISO 9001 and ISO 17025)
- Experience in managing commercial software projects and managing cybersecurity for software apps
- Experience in software design, development, testing, quality assurance, and customer services
- Excellent customer service and relationship building skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent decision making capabilities
- Excellent attention to detail and problem solving skills
- Ability to work in a dynamic and collaborative team environment
- Ability to complete tasks independently
- Ability to quickly learn and apply new concepts, principles and solutions
- Demonstrates dependability and commitment to projects/tasks
- Initiative and aptitude/adaptability to solve complex and varying challenges with minimal direction
- Focus on consistency and quality in all work activities
- Ability to optimally adapt to a constrained schedule and perform under pressure
- Strong multitasking and organizational skills
- Highly safety oriented
- Fluency in a second language is an asset to support international clients
- Ability to travel internationally
- Must have valid Class 5 Drivers License
Location: Surrey, B.C.
Job ID: PQENG2017.11
Job Status: Full-Time Regular
Compensation & Benefits: Powertech Labs Inc. offers a very comprehensive total rewards package based on a healthy work/life balance.
Close Date: May 16, 2017
Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
To apply and to obtain more information on Powertech Labs Inc. visit our website at http://www.powertechlabs.com