Manager, Facility Planning/Construction
Recognized for its dedication to inclusion, diversity, and strong partnerships with the community, the Richmond School District is among one of the largest districts in British Columbia with some of the highest graduation rates in the province. With a deep history of high quality experiences for students, the Richmond School District strives to provide the best education and future for every student.
As an employer, we provide comprehensive growth, learning and engagement opportunities to the 2,300 committed professionals across the district. We are currently looking for a Manager, Facility Planning/Construction to bring their expertise and creativity in the procurement of schools from feasibility planning work through design, construction, and close-out. The successful candidate will deliver expert management work involving design, technical, contractual, planning, financial activities and leading departmental staff required for capital project delivery.
- Manage assigned projects from start to completion ensuring legislative and contract compliance for project completion
- Oversee project management and apply technical knowledge to construction and major seismic upgrade projects, while considering life cycle, sustainability needs and budget limitations on several major capital projects simultaneously
- Prepare planning and feasibility studies, design development, construction contract documents and capital project planning processes in conjunction with assigned project planning teams
- Be familiar with such tools as Microsoft Project and VFA Capital Planning and Management Software
- Assist with financial management of the department on a project-by-project basis by monitoring expenditures and provide reports and recommendations to the Director of Facilities and Planning
- Participate in consultative processes with facility users, consultants and internal and external stakeholders during the planning phase of projects
- Liaise with contractors and various consultants to negotiate fees and construction costs, or other direct activities relating to architects, consultants and contractors and communicate with school administrators
- Manage production of contract documentation and administer contracts including correspondence, plans and specifications, approval documentation, notices of changes, change orders, contractual notices and invoices
- Prepare funding submissions to the ministry, project cost estimates, and forecast project schedules through SPRFS and PDR’s and other submission documents
- Manage contract and legal disputes as necessary
- Provide dispute and claims resolution advice on the School District’s behalf
- Prepare project descriptions and/or conceptual plans to illustrate project requirements for project justification; prepare project budget for approval
The successful candidate will possess:
- BC Registered Architect, Professional Engineer or University degrees in Architecture or Engineering with the ability to be Registered in BC. Project Management Degrees or PMP designations would be an asset.
- Minimum five years supervisory project experience
- Thorough knowledge of BC Building Code and BC Fire Code, CCDC documents, CCAC documents, public tendering practicing, bonding and surety, bid depository rules and procedures. Ability to navigate legal contracts would be an asset.
- Proven deliverables for up-to-date building technology for architectural, mechanical, electrical and structural disciplines and contracting practices, sub trade management and C.P.M. project scheduling
- Valid BC Driver’s License
Interested qualified applicants should apply online by clicking the “APPLY NOW” button on www.makeafuture.ca/richmond
Application deadline is May 31, 2017 at 4:00 pm.
For more information about Richmond School District 38, please visit www.makeafuture.ca/richmond or our website at www.sd38.bc.ca. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those being considered for interviews will be contacted.