BC Hydro’s Supply Chain function is integral to keeping the business running and the lights on. BC Hydro is transforming its Supply Chain model through the implementation of a full category management capability to better meet the business’ requirements for quality, safety and reliability in what we buy for the best total cost and to ensure mutually beneficial supplier relationships. The Operations & Enterprise (O&E) Supply Chain group is accountable to develop and implement strategies for the key categories that account for over 80% of BC Hydro’s annual $2 billion expenditures. Categories are organized in the following portfolios: Enterprise, Major Equipment, Engineering & Technical Services, Materials & Logistics and Field Support Services.
We are three years into our multi-year transformation journey and we have an opening for a pragmatic Program Manager for the Category Management Program Management Office (PMO). The focus of the role is to work across the portfolios and practice areas (e.g. sourcing, supplier relationship management, etc.) to ensure effective, integrated: planning, communications, and project/program management practices and tools that are essential for effective and efficient category management delivery. This is role is the ‘glue’ that helps bring the whole group together into an integrated whole.
The ideal candidate must be comfortable with ambiguity and changing circumstances. Indeed they see it as their role to bring clarity to the situation and others. They must have a learning mindset, be able to stay calm in pressure situations and be able to effectively play the dual role of a ‘coach’ and a ‘cop’ to ensure team alignment to the program delivery practices. They must be solution focused, motivated by delivery of results, the success of the team and creating sustainable change to benefit the company. It is vital that they be able ‘meet the team members where they are at’ and adapt their leadership style to engage the team to get things done.
Our perfect person is a realistic optimist and a fast learner who is able to communicate and engage effectively with a wide audience. They will have experience in knowing how to ‘roll – up’ and oversee multiple projects, priorities, constraints, people resources and financials into an overall program plan by working effectively with those accountable for their individual ‘pieces’ and having a clear, well-articulated process and effective tools to do so.
This role directly manages one resource currently, but provides matrix oversight to a number of contract resources, and also leads cross-matrixed project teams.
Accountabilities and High Level Outcomes:
* Run the processes and engage the people to ensure Category Management has a properly prioritized and scaled plan that can be successfully delivered by BC Hydro. Doing this requires leading O&E Category Management multi-year and annual work planning, ensuring the completion of various types of timely reporting for effective visibility and management, integration with overall Supply Chain and other BC Hydro planning processes.
* Create a consistent capability across the group in program management practices and tools that are essential for effective and efficient category management planning and delivery. Tools/practices include: project planning, milestones tracking, status reporting, resource forecasting, benefit forecasting and tracking, governance etc. Doing this requires: running the processes/tools that have been created, providing coaching/training, and mechanisms to ensure sustainment of all that is in place and usage is high and finally doing continuous improvement to make them better. This also includes hiring and developing a high performing team of direct employees and cross-matrixed team members.
* Knows the whole plan better than anyone else – and keeps us on track. Provides timely insight and guidance to the Director and leadership team to keep the plan on track or make adjustments. Provides a ‘central point’ of contact for team members, Finance, Communications, other Supply Chain areas, for information and integration. Designs and runs processes for effective decision making and tracks key decisions and approvals.
* Builds understanding and support for Category Management across BC Hydro by proactively organizing and delivering program level communications with Supply Chain, our BCH business partners and other key areas (Finance, Business Planning, HR, Communications)
* Advances the implementation of the overall Category Management and Supply Chain model.
This includes measuring current state capabilities and KPIs to track advancements in maturity of category management.
* University degree Bachelor’s (MBA or Master’s preferred).
* Minimum of 12+ years related business experience at a senior level in a large organization or equivalent combination of education and experience.
* Experience in a start-up environment and taking intentional steps to evolve into sustainment.
* Experience working in a business environment that is fast paced, complex, with multiple stakeholders and strategic considerations.
* Demonstrated knowledge and results in implementing multi-step, structured project/program management or business improvement planning and delivery processes.
* Quick Learner: Ability to quickly learn BC Hydro processes, project management/delivery framework and the different aspects of our BCH culture (operations, project delivery, corporate).
* Planning and Program Management: Establishes plans through an interactive thinking and organizing process that builds clarity with respect to goal(s) and what is required to achieve the goal(s) and outcomes. “Coach/Cop” that holds people accountable while jointly solutioning to address gaps.
* Communications (written/oral): Conveys information to people clearly and concisely, and in a way that builds commitment and is actioned. Able to understand and meet people where they are at and adapts style/language to meet stakeholder needs.
* Results Oriented Influencer: Always has the ‘end game in mind’ and is adept at shifting the thoughts, attitudes and behaviors of others by shaping or setting a direction that deepens commitment and capability to achieve.
* Business Acumen: Be able to accurately assess various BC Hydro situations, what is needed and design pragmatic approach to deliver required progress. Able to envision what O&E should do now to bring about a more, successful future and apply sound judgment to realize strategic plans.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at https://app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by October 31, 2017.
Click here to access the job posting or visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs.
You must use a supported browser, such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Safari. Your pop up blocker will also need to be disabled for the BC Hydro Careers site.
On the BC Hydro Careers site, click on the Apply button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job. Please be sure to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and include copies of your certifications, if applicable.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in B.C. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work. Want to join us?
We are safe.
We are here for our customers.
We are one team.
We act with integrity.
We respect our province.
We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.