Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) is seeking multiple Full Time family physicians for Vancouver Community clinics.
The positions being recruited will work part time in a VCH owned and operated Integrated Health Centre, serving the most complex and care intensive clients and part time in a more traditional clinic with a typical panel complexity. The purpose of this design is to insure physicians are able to balance the high acuity of VCH clinics with lower acuity patients and avoid potential burn out.
The VCH Integrated Health Centres are primarily located in the heart of Vancouver, including those in the Downtown Eastside (DTES). Centres are usually operational 7 days per week, between 8-12 hours each day and include the Ravensong Community Health Centre, Three Bridges Community Health Centre, Pender Integrated Health Centre, Powell Integrated Health Centre and the new Heatley Integrated Health Centre. The Centres will approach client care with the Primary Care family physician at the centre of an interdisciplinary model, with support from all allied health disciplines and a consult model for access to dedicated specialists. Areas of specialties include psychiatry and internal medicine. The Centres will provide clinic based, outreach & satellite primary care to the most complex clients residing in Vancouver.
The traditional clinics will be matched by physician interest, skills and clinic needs to build Family Practitioner capacity in Vancouver. Numerous clinics are seeking new practitioners to take over retiring practices and/or increase capacity to meet the documented unmet demand for FPs in Vancouver. VCH has partnered with the Vancouver Division of Family Practice to undertake these placements.
A Medical Degree and eligibility for licensure, in good standing, with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia. Current Canadian Medical Protection Association, or equivalent, coverage. Eligibility for a Faculty appointment with the University of British Columbia, School of Medicine is required. Current methadone prescriber exemption is ideal and the process of obtaining exemption is required if not yet achieved. In addition, a candidate interested in joining the team will approach care by:
- Providing team based care along with an interdisciplinary team (NP/MD/RN/SW/Pharmacist/counselors etc).
- Providing addiction services, assessments, supports, and opiate substitution.
- Providing care to clients with multiple complex health care needs (i.e. HIV, Hep C, mental health/addictions) and psychosocial barriers (eg. Histories of trauma, behavioural issues).
- Providing low barrier health care to youth (24 and under).
- Sharing in a rotation that includes week days, evenings and weekends and sharing responsibility for ensuring team physician availability during specific times of the year (eg. Rotation for working Christmas/Easter/summer holidays).
- Providing patients with 24/7 access to services through rotation in an on-call service (typically not more frequent than 1 in 15 weeks).
- Providing outreach as needed within the interdisciplinary team.
- Providing learning opportunities and support for students/residents.
- Taking part in quality improvement initiatives to improve client outcomes. This includes projects across acute and community care which support service improvements for clients.
- Providing pro-active chronic disease management by utilizing EMR supports, PSP supports, QI initiatives, and maximizing use and scope of interdisciplinary team members.
- Taking part in interdisciplinary team engagement events/opportunities.
- Taking part in educational opportunities to advance practice and client outcomes.
*We are happy to accept candidates who have completed their medical training and are currently working in the USA, UK, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand. Canadian Citizenship or Permanent Residency is preferred, but out of country candidates who meet the education and training requirements will be considered, and can be supported to achieve Permanent Residency.
Remuneration will be in accordance with the Doctors of BC/MSP negotiated clinical service contract (template available on the Doctors of BC website) for the Integrated Health Centres and Fee-For-Service (FFS) at the traditional clinics.