Alberta Health Services (AHS) has a unique opportunity for an experienced, dynamic, and innovative senior health care leader for the position of Calgary Zone Medical Director. Reporting directly to the Vice President, Quality and Chief Medical Officer and the Vice President and Medical Director, Northern Alberta, the Calgary Zone Medical Director will play a key role with AHS leadership and is ultimately accountable for all AHS Medical Staff-related matters including the application of AHS Medical Staff Bylaws as well as all operational issues and decisions requiring physician/practitioner input or leadership that arise within the Zone.
The Calgary Zone Medical Director and the Vice President and Chief Health Operations Officer Northern Alberta work in close partnership as the most senior operational dyad leadership team in the Edmonton Zone. The Zone Medical Director and Vice President and Chief Health Operations Officer Northern Alberta are jointly responsible and accountable for providing the vision and leadership required to align, implement, deliver and evaluate a quality, accessible, sustainable, and integrated health system in the Calgary Zone and within a provincial health system.
A key mandate of this position is to maintain a strong emphasis on the importance of quality and patient safety, engagement, leadership development, relationships between the medical staff and the health care system and maintaining effective partnerships with academic institutions and other physician led organizations.
- Medical Degree with current registration with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta. Eligibility to be a member of the AHS Medical Staff.
- Progressive senior leadership experience in a health-care environment, including at least ten years of successful and progressive experience in a senior management role in clinical services or health-care operations.
- Experience leading, supporting and assisting in development of medical leaders.
- A demonstrated clear pattern of professional and personal development.
- Extensive senior medical leadership experience in an organization of significant size, complexity and diversity (health care environment preferred).
- Demonstrated ability to develop organizational policy and strategic and business planning.
- Demonstrated ability to lead strategic initiatives and manage change to achieve positive results.
- Demonstrated strong leadership abilities including comfort with decision making responsibilities.
- Proven ability to influence, negotiate and mediate resolutions to complex situations.
- Proven ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of audiences in different circumstances (requires exceptional communication, interpersonal and public relations skills).
- Proven ability to foster partnerships to achieve AHS organizational goals.
- Demonstrated ability to model innovation and creativity.
- Proven ability to champion change management and foster passion for excellence.
- Proven ability to build, coach and engage a team of capable and confident senior leaders and medical leaders, taking into account current and future needs (succession planning).
- Supports and challenges others to achieve professional and personal goals (holding them accountable to meet measureable outcomes).
- Engages in ethical conduct and strives to understand and appreciate the diversity of the AHS community.
Apply online and join our dynamic team today!