TITLE: Paediatric Hospitalist
LOCATION: Oshawa, ON
PROGRAM: Maternal Child
Lakeridge Health is seeking a 0.5 FTE Paediatric Hospitalist to join the current group, based at the Lakeridge Oshawa site. The successful candidate should have Royal College Specialization in Paediatrics with increased competency in Neonatology, and be proficient at managing cases in a Level ll NICU as well as stabilizing Level III patients.
Remuneration is a blend of Alternate Payment Plan (APP) and discounted Fee for Service.
The Hospital is a participant in the Provincial Council for Maternal, Child Health and Youth Advisory Committee (CYAC), and the position provides an opportunity to participate in a high standard of consulting Neonatal and Pediatric care practice in association with a congenial and committed group of paediatricians.
Oshawa and adjacent areas are in close proximity to both the amenities of Metro Toronto and the refreshing lifestyle of cottage country. The area and community provide an excellent opportunity for a satisfactory and rewarding professional practice in a safe, family-oriented atmosphere.
- Lakeridge Oshawa is one of 5 facilities that also include Ajax-Pickering, Bowmanville, Port Perry and Whitby
- At Oshawa, there is In-patient & Outpatient Paediatrics, Level 2C NICU, Birthing Suite, Mother/Baby Unit and ER
- There are about 3,000 deliveries annually - this number is projected to increase; Caesarean Section rate is 20%
- A Code Pink team responds to cardio-respiratory emergencies of infants less than one month of age
- Approximately 40% of the 70,000 ER visits are paediatrics
- 70% of Paediatric cases are admitted via the ER
- Child and mental health services are available with 10 inpatient beds
- Full range of Laboratory and Diagnostic Imaging modalities, including CT, MRI
- There is no Paediatric Surgeon.
- General surgeons perform paediatric surgeries, such as appendectomy and hernia repair
* Day Hospitalist coverage is from 8 am to 5 pm
* Overnight calls are from 5 pm to 8 am weekdays and weekends
* Paediatricians cover Neonatal and Paediatric inpatients, Labour/Delivery and the ER
* Other Lakeridge sites (Bowmanville, Port Perry) are covered remotely by telephone
* PARC (Paediatric Ambulatory Referral Clinic) runs from 10 am to 5:30 pm, Monday to Sunday
* 80% of volume of Paediatric practice is consulting
* There is a complement of 10 FTE Paediatricians in the Department, including 3 full-time neonatologists
* 12-bed paediatric inpatient unit and 14-bed Level II NICU
* 85% of the nursing staff have Level II and Level III NICU Certification
* 3 RTs on days, 2 on nights; attend all C-Sections
* Infants requiring ventilation longer than 48 hours are transported to The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto
* State-of-the-art NICU equipped with Isolettes, Omni Giraffe Warmers, mono and biphasic CPAP machines, and Ventilators
* Licensed to practise in Ontario
* Fellowship in Paediatrics from the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
* One year of neonatal training / experience, desirable
* Skills to competently and independently manage Level ll C and stabilize Level III NICU neonates
* Be comfortable with managing retro-referrals from tertiary centres
* Be proficient and comfortable working independently in situations involving resuscitation, inserting central lines, chest tubes, IV, intubation and stabilizing neonates for continuing treatment or transportation
* Leadership skills, an asset
For more information about us, please visit our website at www.lakeridgehealth.on.ca. Please send your current CV to email@example.com or contact Sandy Bastarache, Physician Services Specialist, at 905-576-8711 x3720.
Lakeridge Health will provide support in its recruitment processes to applicants with disabilities, including accommodation that takes into account an applicant’s accessibility needs. If you require accommodation during the interview process, please contact the Medical Affairs Office at the coordinates above.