Ontario Construction Secretariat
Chief Executive Officer
Our client, the Ontario Construction Secretariat, is seeking a Chief Executive Officer (CEO) to provide leadership to the organization by effectively managing programs, services, and staff. The CEO is responsible for organizational performance and strategic outcomes and has three broad deliverables: producing research; promoting unionized contractors and labour to buyers of construction; and proactive engagement of the constituent groups within OCS.
Established in 1993 by the Government of Ontario through regulation, the Ontario Construction Secretariat (OCS) is a partnership of 25 labour and 25 employer organizations in the industrial, commercial, and institutional (ICI) construction sector. Research is the foundation of the OCS that underpins each of the OCS strategic objectives: improved labour relations; positive perceptions of unionized construction; and supportive public policy. For more information, please visit www.iciconstruction.com.
CEO candidates will know construction, with exposure to ICI and understanding of how the stakeholders interact (e.g., collective agreements). With an undergraduate degree or equivalent, candidates will have demonstrated the ability to manage an organization, bring people together, and further programs including research, conferences, and advocacy-outreach.
The CEO reports to the board of directors comprising worker, management, and government representatives, and manages a professional staff at the OCS office in Toronto (near Pearson airport).
• Original, high-quality research is planned and carried out on board-approved topics including the value of unionized ICI construction.
• Proactive outreach to engage stakeholders in defining their expectations and needs.
• Demonstrate that OCS’s work is meeting the needs and goals of the 25 employee bargaining agencies, and 25 employer bargaining agencies, which together comprise OCS.
• Raise the profile of OCS including outreach to buyers of construction.
• Working towards an increase in the market share of construction involving unionized labour.
• Branding of OCS, broadening its presence in Ontario, and marketing its value proposition to relevant audiences.
• Develop and execute the business plan to accomplish the board-approved strategic plan, and ongoing leadership to support the board in defining vision and direction for OCS.
• Effective management of a team of seven employees.
• Further develop the resources and benefits which OCS provides to its stakeholders.
• Work with stakeholders in a balanced, neutral manner.
• Identify and disseminate information on relevant industry issues.
CEO Qualifications & Background
• Record of effective relationship-building among constituencies and management of an organization with multiple stakeholders.
• Effective leadership in a complex environment with a track-record accomplishing results through facilitation, consensus-building, and timely action.
• Experience in construction, and knowledge of ICI construction and labour relations.
• Concurrence with the values and aims of OCS and the needs and goals of members.
• Demonstrated skills across the management spectrum including planning, budgeting, accounting for results, team motivation and supervision, organizing work effectively.
• An understanding of, and prior experience with, research (and the insight to propose ideas on areas of research that will further advance OCS’s mandate).
• Excellent communication (writing and speaking) and presentation/public speaking skills.
• Engaging interpersonal skills.
• Experience as an advocate to government (preferably at Queen’s Park).
Further, the CEO will have executive presence and the outgoing personality to meet with and make the case to owners/the buyers of construction and earn the confidence of all stakeholders. The CEO must have attributes including diplomacy, integrity, high energy and a strong work ethic.
Qualified candidates are invited to apply by May 26th, 2017, with résumé and a cover letter enumerating their relevant experience to OCS’s needs, and a statement of salary requirements, to –
The Portage Group
Attention: Jack Shand, CMC, CAE, Executive Partner
We thank all applicants in advance for the interest. Only those selected for interview will be contacted.