Contractor Safety Specialist #20853
Corporate Services Department
Human Resource Services Branch
Location: Newmarket, Ontario. This is a Non-Union position.
Temporary Full-Time, Approx. 15 months, Salary $85,611 - $97,010 annually
Reporting to the Manager, Workplace, Health, Safety and Wellness, is responsible for administering the contractor safety policy and programs; providing occupational health and safety expertise to the Region’s Project Managers; monitoring and ensuring that Contractors establish and maintain a safe and healthy workplace and comply with all applicable legislation while working on behalf of the Region; conducting health and safety audits of Contractor projects; and inspecting Regional projects and work operations to promote hazard awareness and encourage safe work practices; liaises with the Ministry of Labour on compliance matters related to Regional contractors.
- Successful completion of a University Degree in Occupational Health & Safety from a recognized university or equivalent approved combination of education and experience.
- Registered as a Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP) or equivalent specialty certification or eligibility for same.
- Valid Ontario Class “G” driver’s license and reliable vehicle for use on corporate business.
- Minimum three (3) years experience in health and safety, including field experience in construction
- Sound knowledge of the relevant health and safety regulations and legislation.
- Familiarity with WSI Act, CSA Standards, Highway Traffic Act, Building Codes, OH&S portion of the Criminal Code, etc. with the ability to communicate their significance and relevance to each situation.
- Well-developed investigative and analytical skills, including the ability to interpret statistical data, to identify issues, write reports and make recommendations.
- Knowledge of hazard identification including hazardous materials, construction and fire safety, physiological hazards, and environmental conditions.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated ability in corporate core competencies, including customer service, communication, teamwork, initiative/self management and accountability, and flexibility/adaptability.
- Dispute/conflict resolution skills to resolve controversial issues/disputes.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Computer literacy utilizing MS Office software applications.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in determining a course of action when dealing with the challenge of complex issues that requires constructive and creative thinking.
- Ability to self-manage by establishing schedules and priorities in considering the requirements of related operations and associated functions.
- Ability to work in a diverse range of locations including (but not limited to) construction sites, operating water/wastewater treatment plants, active roadways, sewer and water main, etc.
- Ability to work outside regular business hours, as required.