Delivering Service Excellence www.durham.ca
The Region of Durham, dedicated to maintaining outstanding standards of service, relies on the expertise and commitment of our employees. You’d be surprised at the diverse career choices we have to offer! If you seek a career with growth and challenge, where quality and accountability work in tandem with integrity and a responsiveness to change, we welcome you to learn more about us.
SENIOR RISK AND INSURANCE EXAMINER – JOB ID 8129
Reporting to the Supervisor, Risk and Loss Control, The incumbent will:
- Investigate, negotiate and settle claims for property damage on DMIP member municipalities owned properties; investigate, negotiate and settle claims made by third parties against DMIP member municipalities for bodily injury and property damage losses
- Liaise with insurance companies and any other party for recovery of the Municipality's costs with regard to damaged property as a result of accidents or the actions of others
- Collaborate with law firms and work directly with legal counsel on claims matters, including but not limited to attendance at pre-trials, trials, mediations and settlement conferences
- Recommend loss control and risk management initiatives to reduce claims exposure
- Design and implement plans for loss prevention when trends are detected
- Assist in the development and presentation of seminars and workshops and identify, develop and lead risk management training for staff involved in insurance claims throughout the Region and in DMIP member municipalities
- Work with Actuary, Auditor and Insurer to assist in annual renewal analysis and year-end financial statements
The successful applicant must possess:
- A University Degree in Business Administration or a related discipline
- Completion of the Chartered Insurance Professional (CIP) designation
- Extensive experience in insurance, claims and risk management preferably in a municipal environment
- Knowledge of the insurance industry and related practices, policies and procedures, insurance policy and insurance and common law, directives and guidelines from the Ontario Superintendent of Insurance, claims investigation methods and techniques and statement taking and interview techniques
- Strong computer skills using MS Office (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint) and familiarity with insurance specific software (eg. RiskMaster and ClearRisk)
- Sound judgement and decision making skills
- Proven accuracy and detail orientation
- Strong analytical, interpretation and problem solving skills
- Superior interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Effective organizational and time management skills
- Strong customer service skills with the ability to deal with discretion and tact in matters of confidentiality
- A valid driver's licence and the use of a reliable vehicle
This position is with Salary Grade 8 and will be paid at the following hourly rates:
- Start: $41.74 - Six Month: $44.06 - Job: $46.38
Conditions of Employment
Prior to the start date, the successful candidate will be required to provide a satisfactory Police Information Check dated within two (2) months from date of hire. Proof of education, qualifications and any other job bona fide requirements will also be collected.
To learn more about this opportunity, apply online at www.durham.ca.
We thank all applicants; however, only those to be considered for an interview will be contacted.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: If you require accommodation at any time throughout the application process, or if this information is required in an accessible format, please contact us at: RecruitingHelp@durham.ca and a Consultant will provide appropriate assistance pursuant to the Region's Accommodation and Accessibility policies. Please note that resumes should not be sent to RecruitingHelp@durham.ca.