The function of the Auto Underwriter is to provide detailed underwriting and risk analysis for the Family Insurance AutoCover product. They respond to product or coverage questions and provide guidance based on the Auto Underwriting manual, participate in post-loss underwriting reviews, and review claim referral cases in accordance with the Company’s philosophy.
- Understand and be able to lead other in a usage of our unique Point of Sale system
- Accept, reject, endorse, renew or cancel policies following Family’s underwriting risk criteria and procedures, applicable laws and regulations, subject to the auto binding authority guidelines
- Answer inquiries, concerns, complaints and make recommendations to brokers through verbal and written correspondence, and escalate when appropriate
- Preferred but not required proficiency in the knowledge and use of Family’s Point of Sale system
- Establish solid relationships with assigned broker groups to develop a profitable book of business and ensure a profit/loss ratio in accordance to the business plan established for the company
- Understand and communicate effectively the underwriting criteria and guidelines
- Participate in post-loss underwriting reviews and review of claim referral cases in accordance with the underwriting philosophy
- Must have a Broker Level 1 License, or be willing to obtain the license within the first 30 days of employment. Candidates will not be permitted to perform the duties of an Underwriter until this license has been obtained
- Ability to review, research and gather relevant information in order to make effective decisions. Displays good judgment and discretion
- Ability to work both independently and as part of the Underwriting team. The individual must be reliable and dependable, working with minimal supervision
- Ability to effectively communicate and explain the policy wordings and coverage to others in a simple and straight-forward manner
- Contributes to customer success by understanding their needs and responds to them in a timely manner.
- Availability and flexible to support the auto underwriting business hours (Monday to Friday from 8:30am-6:00pm and Saturday from 8:30am-4:00pm)
- 1-2 years’ experience as an auto and/or personal lines underwriter or related industry experience
- Strong computer skills specifically in MS Office tools
- CIP courses or CAIB equivalent courses are preferred but not required
- Broker Level 1 License or be prepared to obtain the license within the first 30 days of employment
- Candidates not currently pursuing CIP/CAIB will be expected undertake required courses with plans to obtain designation
Family’s offices are located in the picturesque Coal Harbour area of downtown Vancouver, close to the seawall, Stanley Park, and public transit. The company offers a supportive and collaborative work culture with great employee perks.
As one of BC's Top 100 Employers for 2016, we strive to be a provider of choice for insurance brokers and an employer of choice in our industry.
If this sounds like the right role for you, please apply now. Don’t forget to submit a cover letter telling us a little about why you are applying and your resume. We will follow up with you if we think you may be a fit for the role.