Director, Specialty Lines
Our Insurance Solutions team at our Executive office is continuously working towards strategically developing and enhancing a wider product offering for our policy holders. These initiatives have led to rapid growth and the need for new talent with Specialty Commercial Lines experience to build our Specialty Lines team. We are looking for a Director, Specialty Lines to develop our Specialty Commercial line product offerings.
If you are a builder looking for the next step in your career, please apply online to the careers section of our website!
Working under minimal supervision, this job contributes to Wawanesa’s success by directing, planning, and implementing strategies and initiatives that develop and maintain products, underwriting policies and rates in the specialty commercial lines area. The Director will proactively search for areas of opportunity to drive profitable growth through national programs and portfolios across distribution channels.
- Promote and lead research and development initiatives as required to provide innovative and competitive products to meet our customer needs for specialty commercial lines.
- Develop the framework and underwriting strategy for Wawanesa to be successful in program and portfolio business unique in nature.
- Monitor performance trends of the portfolio; creating action plans to influence long term profitable growth results.
- Contribute to and support the development and evolution of Wawanesa's policies and practices.
- Champion initiatives and be receptive to both employee resistance and acceptance, so that genuine understanding and commitment can occur.
- Work collaboratively with internal and external departments and partners to provide our customers with a dynamic service experience
- Evaluate and analyze complex business proposals utilizing specialty commercial lines expertise with the ability to confidently recommend a decision to proceed.
- Apply technical assessment and judgment to arrive at solutions for issues as they arise across the specialty segment business.
- Stay abreast of industry, regulatory and company changes or trends as they relate to the insurance industry.
- Oversee and coach a team to ensure the work environment is respectful, challenging and rewarding and employees are maximized to their full potential while contributing to the achievement of Wawanesa's goals.
- Develop and enhance productive business relationships by liaising with internal and external stakeholders.
- Lead the development and maintenance of underwriting guidelines and procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ten years Property and Casualty industry experience with three years in a leadership role.
- Prior experience developing and managing national and regional plans and programs.
- Post-secondary education, and/or completed CIP or equivalent Property and Casualty industry designation.
- Strong MS Office skills
- • Excellent leadership skills with the ability to influence and gain respect, credibility and confidence from others.
- • Ability to make excellent and well justified decisions in complex and high pressure situations.
- Strong negotiation skills with the ability to present information or arguments in a convincing manner.
- Ability to develop and implement comprehensive plans and solutions that bridge complex issues that span across time.
- • Strong business acumen with excellent analytical and problem solving skills with the ability to recognize and identify critical issues.
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation and communication skills with the ability to effectively convey ideas in a persuasive and eloquent manner.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
Wawanesa provides its employees with an environment conducive to achieving their goals for personal performance and career development. Our employees are provided with highly competitive compensation packages (salaries, profit sharing, benefits and a defined benefit pension plan). The benefit package is comprehensive and far ranging. Wawanesa provides a stable and rewarding environment for its employees in today’s challenging markets.
Join a Canadian success story! Consider this Winnipeg based opportunity!
If you are interested in this exciting, challenging position with Wawanesa, please apply online by February 17, 2017!