Language designation: Bilingual, CBC
Number of position: 1
Type: Permanent full-time
CMHC: Because What I Do Matters
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) is the heart of a world leading housing system that is making a difference for Canadians every day by helping them meet their housing needs. As Canada’s authority on housing, CMHC works with a variety of stakeholders to help ensure that the Canadian housing system remains one of the best in the world. Our work matters to a great many people and our employees matter to us.
Bring your leadership and people management skills to this Manager, Multi-Unit Risk Management position in Ottawa.
As a member of the Insurance Risk Management team, you will be leading a team of highly skilled Senior Analysts who specialize in insurance pricing and risk analytics. You will be responsible for consistent, high quality analysis, recommendations, monitoring and reporting related to pricing and risk oversight primarily for the multi-unit insurance business to support corporate objectives and direction.
You will provide risk management direction and oversight on behalf of the Insurance Sector and the Insurance Risk Management Division as Chair of the Insurance Risk Working Group; through participation in the Multi-Unit Insurance Underwriting Committee; and as the Insurance Sector stress testing coordinator.
How You Will Be Contributing
- Ensuring that best practices are followed in the development of risk assessment models for pricing and analysis of multi-unit mortgage insurance
- Keep abreast of market trends, policy and regulatory developments related to insurance risk and pricing in Canada and internationally, in particular as they relate to mortgage insurance multi-unit residential, retirements and affordable housing properties
- Providing professional and impartial risk management oversight on underwriting files/ recommendations submitted to the Multi-Unit Underwriting Committee (MUC) for approval.
- Acting as primary expert in the review of the development and maintenance of stress testing and economic capital models
- Providing pricing expertise and support in the development of insurance products, policies, systems and services by providing actuarially sound analysis and recommendations to business managers
- Preparing and presenting analysis, research and presentations to management and senior management (Insurance Committee, Executive Committee, Management Committee, Board of Directors) regarding general and/or technical multi-unit insurance topics related to pricing and risk management to support critical decisions, plans and strategies
- Providing guidance in the preparation of semi-annual Insurance-wide risk reporting, and contributing to enterprise-wide reporting coordinated by the CRO and CFO sectors
- Providing professional risk input and advice towards the development of risk appetite statements for the Insurance Sector and on a variety of other sector-specific initiatives
- Participating in special projects involving multi-unit mortgage insurance products and risks
- Leading, organizing and coaching a team of specialized Senior Analysts
- Functioning as the subject matter expert on matters related to multi-unit insurance risk management with other divisions and key stakeholders, including the Department of Finance and OSFI.
What We Are Looking For
- A commitment to demonstrating CMHC values
- A graduate level education (Masters or Ph.D.) preferably in Actuarial Science, Economics, Statistics, Mathematics or Finance, and a successful track record of 8 years with increasing responsibility in pricing, risk management, research, analysis, real estate lending and policy development, including 3 years managing a team
- An equivalent combination of related education and experience will be considered
- A Professional Designation in a related field (CPA, CFA, FRM)
- Thorough understanding of mortgage instruments, the mortgage industry and multi-unit insurance policies
- In-depth knowledge of actuarial/risk pricing techniques
- Knowledge of principles of risk modelling and aptitude for applying modelling results in relation to pricing
- Expert knowledge and seasoned understanding of mortgages in the multi-unit space, housing finance and capital markets, as well as the banking and financial industries
- In-depth knowledge of actuarial, accounting and financial analytical techniques and statistical methods
- High level of organizational skills and ability to multi-task in pressure situations
- Strong leadership and decision-making skills
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to write and speak clearly and succinctly to communicate technical and non-technical contents to a variety of audiences
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to lead/conduct analysis, synthesize information and solve problems using appropriate qualitative and quantitative techniques, and to capture diverse relevant factors (financial, economic, political, etc.) that impact the decision
- Strong ability to make proficient use of computer-based actuarial/financial tools (in particular SAS and MS Office products and actuarial software)
- Strong knowledge of CMHC's business, mandate and objectives
Client Focus/ Innovation/ Valuing and Respecting Individuals
Analytical Thinking/ Communication (Presenting and Influencing)/ Decisiveness/ Developing Others/ Effective Leadership/ Efficiency/ Focus on Results/ Forward/Strategic Thinking/ Teamwork/ Project Management/ Political and Cultural Sensitivity
What CMHC Has To Offer
- Competitive Total Compensation package
- Competitive Annual Salary
- Comprehensive flex benefit program
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Eligibility for Performance Bonuses
- In-house learning and development opportunities
- Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- New Hire Mentorship Program
- Various onsite amenities
- Career Growth Opportunities
Please visit our website at www.cmhc.ca/careers to apply online for this employment opportunity (Competition No. 6688).
- We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest, however, please note that only those applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted. If selected for an interview, please advise us if you require an accommodation.
- This position requires bilingualism in English and French, with the ability to read, understand and speak in your second official language at an advanced level and to write in your second official language at an intermediate level. Candidates who do not currently have valid language test results recognised by CMHC will be required to take a language test. http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/corp/ca/ouhipr/ouhipr_004.cfm
- Selected candidates may be required to do a presentation or assessment as part of the interview. If so, they will be advised in advance. In the event that tests are administered, candidates will also be advised in
- Candidates must be eligible for Secret Clearance
- Candidates who do not meet all of the position requirements may be considered in an under-fill capacity, in which case the person will be hired at a lower level than the position level.