Working under general supervision and with the opportunity to join an exciting new team, the Underwriter is responsible for analyzing the acceptability of low complexity business with low to moderate premium volume according to company guidelines by working collaboratively with our sales force and providing value added expertise and service to both potential and existing policyholders.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform risk analysis using technology as well as external data sources for the purposes of quoting, negotiating and authorizing the acceptance of risk.
- Maintain accurate records of decisions made and maintain completeness of policy data.
- Communicate decisions, and respond to requests in a prompt and professional manner.
- Learn to understand rating procedures, wordings, underwriting policies and regulations.
- Handle work assignments, including calls, efficiently.
- Work effectively towards the goals of the team.
- Build positive working relationships with internal and external parties, including networking at industry events.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Post-secondary education or related business experience.
- Willingness to enroll in, or actively pursuing a Property and Casualty Industry Designation.
- Strong knowledge of computer systems/software.
- Strong attention to detail, analytical, problem solving and communication skills.
- Strong decision making skills with the ability to provide justification.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Demonstrated planning and organizing skills with the ability to prioritize daily tasks.
- Previous experience training others in software systems would be a definite asset.
- Great communicator, able to convey information in a very understandable and relatable fashion.