The Senior Underwriter is a confident decision maker who specializes in underwriting accounts in our key sectors of automobile dealers & repairs, commercial property, contractors, equipment & fuel dealers, grocery stores, manufacturers, professional & health services, restaurants, wholesalers and retailers. This role will be responsible for underwriting new business and renewals using a customer-centric approach. The Senior Underwriter will work in partnership with our team of Sales Agents, driving market leadership with industry-leading products and services and providing innovative solutions to the more than 15,000 Canadian businesses that Federated supports. At Federated we go the extra mile to meet our client’s needs and embrace excellence in everything we do.
Evaluation and analysis of assigned new business and renewal policies to ensure a profitable book of business within established underwriting authority:
- Digest and interpret report information to support confident decisions in a timely manner appropriate to company guidelines.
- Creatively handle decision making, problem solving and risk management on a pro-active basis using clear and precise thought processes.
- Communicate and negotiate effectively with clients and Sales Agents on policy wordings and coverages.
Manage Underwriting activity:
- Adhere to company and team service standards.
- Monitor profitability of accounts and determine actions required.
- Perform audits of Large Loss Reviews and Underwriting files.
- Handle placement of reinsurance as needed keeping close attention to capacity guidelines.
- Develop relationships with industry peers and related associations to keep abreast of industry changes and client needs.
- Accompany Risk Services Consultants and Sales Agents on field visits when required.
- Train and mentor junior team members.
- Update management team on risk issues, challenges, competition and market trends.
- Actively participate in attaining business unit goals and achieving company service standards.
- Post-secondary degree or diploma.
- Eight to ten years underwriting experience in the commercial P&C industry.
- C.I.P. and/or C.R.M. designation.
- Knowledge of facultative reinsurance placements.
Skill / Behavioural requirements:
- Excellent communication skills.
- Strong, confident decision maker.
- Able to accommodate infrequent travel for client visits, events and workshops.
Federated welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Interested, qualified candidates are encouraged to apply at www.federated.ca