Project Manager, Insurance & Risk Management
Job Classification Title PROJECT MANAGER INSURANCE & RISK MGMT
Requisition # 2279325X
Division Corporate Finance
Section Insurance & Risk Management
Work Location CITY HALL, 100 QUEEN ST W
Job Stream Accounting/Finance
Job Type Permanent, Full-Time
Salary/Rate $100,773.40 - $118,409.20 / Year
Hours of Work (bi-weekly) 70.00
Shift Information Monday to Friday, 35 Hours per Week
Number of Positions Open 1
Posting Date 08-Aug-2017
Expiry date 29-Aug-2017
Reporting to the Director, Insurance and Risk Management, the Project Manager will manage and organize consulting services to Cluster senior management in the practice areas of insurance, claims management, risk management measures and techniques, claims data presentation, legal liability and insurance adjusting practices.
- Develops and implements detailed plans and recommends policies regarding program specific requirements.
- Manages assigned projects, ensuring effective teamwork and communication, high standards of work quality and organizational performance and continuous learning.
- Conducts research into assigned area, ensuring that such research takes into account developments within the field, corporate policies and practices, legislation and initiatives by other levels of government.
- Ensures that the project expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations.
- Designs solutions through research and coordination of industry expertise and develops, directs and implements risk management strategies for corporate policies, practices and programs of insurance, claims management, risk management and loss control, and conveys information through various methods, i.e. seminars, presentations, written reports, bulletins, briefing notes and Standing Committee reports.
- Develops and recommends for implementation and communication, risk management loss control initiatives arising from the claims administration process such as Claims Review Group Loss Control Notices which result from the interpretation of high-value, multimillion-dollar and legally complex claim reports. Ensures that these items are communicated to the Director and staff of the relevant City Divisions and Agencies, Boards, Commissions & Corporations (ABC&Cs) for action on recommendations that affect operational processes, budgets and staffing.
- Develops and implements financial incentives that affect Divisional operating budgets to encourage risk management and loss control practices at Divisional levels.
- Develops strategic direction and business operation plans for the evaluation of defense counsel recommendations and provides claim settlement or denial instructions to ensure that appropriate insurance claim defense strategies are employed and that conflict of interest in legal representation of the City is avoided.
- Develops policy and procedures on handling claim inquiries from City Councillors, City Council and its Standing Committees, the Police Services Board and other insured ABC&Cs.
- Develops strategy and procedures for handling of contentious, adversarial and conflicting situations that arise from claims handling through conciliatory approaches and mediation of opinions and positions, and deals with media inquiries as assigned by the Director.
- Develops and implements on-going productivity improvement measures and alternative work processes, such as a computerized claims file system, to ensure cost-effective and efficient insurance and claims operations and provides project management techniques to monitor and evaluate progress.
- Provides specialized expertise and a range of high-quality consulting services in relevant areas to the Insurance & Risk Management core functions to City Divisions and applicable insured ABC&Cs, including insurance markets, insurance claims management, insurance audit functions, property conservation, liability loss control, contract wording review (e.g. leasehold insurance obligations, RFPs, full range of construction projects, etc.), surety bonding, risk financing & contractual risk transfer techniques, insurance software applications and evidence of insurance (e.g. certificates).
- Identifies, analyzes, rationalizes and optimizes business processes, systems applications, inputs and outputs, program operations and functions at a detailed level in relation to the City's insurance program.
- Conducts financial analysis and determines key indicators to measure the effectiveness and efficiencies of service delivery methods and designs processes to track those indicators.
- Designs, analyzes and documents processes to support planning, staff allocation and re-alignment, resource alignment and management decision-making in order to strengthen risk control and reduce insurance costs.
- Prepares business cases, feasibility (including economic, organizational, operational, technical impact) studies, project charters/plans, business/functional/technical requirements, design documents, training strategies/plans, and user documentation to recommend and implement strategic organization design and effective management/governance systems.
- Identifies employee errors and below-standard performance that create liability for the City and reports to Division Heads, recommending actions that include staff training, discipline, staffing changes or other corrective actions to prevent reoccurrence of errors and resultant liability.
- Examines causes of insurable loss within Divisional operations and reports recommendations to Division Heads to improve efficiencies and staffing changes to prevent recurring loss.
- Examines insurance arrangements, staffing and budgets of other associated City entities (TTC, TCHC, Parking Authority, etc.) to make recommendations of efficiencies in cost and strategic alliance through such mechanisms as sharing, combining, and consolidating.
- Coordinates work of adjusters and lawyers with City Divisions and ABC&Cs to ensure effective investigation and defense of claims.
- Prepares Requests for Proposals, Requests for Expression of Interest and other types of procurement for the provision of insurance, risk management, risk control, claims management, and financial services.
- Enhances compliance with service provider and internal Divisional standards through recommendations to Divisions on operational/organizational change.
- Develops, implements, reviews and monitors processes to ensure the integrity and safeguarding of adjusters’ trust account for claims payments.
- Conducts litigated file reviews, including adjuster and defense counsel files to ensure timely movement of file activity and enhance integrity of service provider functions.
- Plans for, directs relevant supporting actions and implements/arranges for the City’s annual insurance policy program renewal through traditional insurance placements and provides tactical recommendations on alternative risk financing arrangements such as the development of a City of Toronto insurance corporation.
- Ensures claims are processed in a manner consistent with City policies and insurance industry norms and that payments to vendors are made within contractual arrangements.
- Prepares responses to Freedom of Information requests from the Corporate Access & Privacy Office.
- Manages the procurement of service providers, technical solutions and professional services through RFPs, RFQs, etc., and leads staff in the evaluation, selection and recommendation through report preparation to Bid Committee, Standing Committee and City Council as required.
- Attends and conducts inspections at work zone and City-owned facilities as required.
- Researches and recommends on matters relating to the development and implementation of claim legal procedures, including regular monitoring of litigation files through quarterly reports, solicitor meetings and adjuster reporting.
- Provides tactical recommendations arising from the claims administration process on the financial accountability of City Divisions and insured ABC&Cs for insurable losses and develops insurance cost allocation charge backs to Divisional and ABC&C operating budgets through the allocation algorithm.
- Researches, develops and prepares for the implementation of appropriate controls for all aspects of adjuster and legal provider service delivery and ensures that appropriate financial controls are in place and followed regarding fee for service.
- Considerable experience in the development, direction and implementation of risk management strategies for corporate policies, practices and programs of insurance, claims management, risk management and loss control.
- Experience leading complex projects and change management initiatives.
- Experience writing reports, briefing notes, fact sheets, and Q&As, facilitating working sessions and delivering presentations.
- Experience applying insurance, comprehensive risk management principles, statistical analysis, general budget practices, legal proceedings and training principles.
- Experience developing and implementing financial incentives that affect Divisional operating budgets to encourage risk management and loss control practices at Divisional levels.
- Highly developed customer service and interpersonal skills with the ability to interact and communicate effectively with all levels of the organization and to forge solid internal and external relationships.
- Ability to ensure effective teamwork and to identify needs and manage the implementation of creative solutions.
- Superior research, analytical, problem solving and conflict resolution skills with all relevant stakeholders, including City staff, politicians and members of the public.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with proven ability to produce effective reports and various written correspondence.
- Ability to take initiative and apply best practices to continuously improve processes to enhance service delivery, efficiency and effectiveness.
- Ability to exercise independent judgement and discretion in dealing with sensitive and confidential matters.
- Ability to adhere to the Toronto Public Service mission and values and act professionally and ethically.
- Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills with the ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines under time constraints and adjust work priorities in response to competing demands.
- Ability to work independently under minimum supervision and set priorities, plan and execute tasks.
- Ability to travel to various work locations within the City of Toronto.
- Familiarity with government legislation in the area of occupational health and safety.
Work for the City you love
Toronto is Canada’s largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world’s most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as a Project Manager, Insurance & Risk Management within our Corporate Finance Division.
How to Apply:
For more information on this and other opportunities with the City of Toronto, visit us online at www.toronto.ca/jobs. To apply online, submit your resume, quoting File #2279325X, by August 29, 2017.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.