Senior Risk Management Analyst
Job Classification Title SENIOR RISK MANAGEMENT ANALYST
Requisition # 2280972 X
Division Corporate Finance
Section Corporate Finance Insurance & Risk Management
Work Location CITY HALL, 100 QUEEN ST W
Job Location Canada-Ontario-Toronto
Job Stream Accounting/Finance
Job Type Permanent, Full-Time
Salary/Rate $49.36 - $54.09 / Hour
Hours of Work (bi-weekly) 70.00
Shift Information Monday to Friday, 35 Hours Per Week
Affiliation L79 Full-time
Number of Positions Open 1
Posting Date 08-Aug-2017
Expiry date 29-Aug-2017
Reporting to the Project Manager, Insurance & Risk Management, you will apply municipal claims expertise to develop, recommend and implement risk management strategies to minimize loss exposures, conduct legal and adjusting fee audits, handle claim inquiries from adjusters, claimants, City staff and Council Members and communicate through the development of key performance indicators of claims activity and claims vendor performance standards.
- Designs, recommends and implements the City’s insurance claims administration program which includes processing new claims, coordinate external contracted insurance adjusters, evaluate, direct and monitor claim reserving practices, manage litigation claim files as assigned, assign claims to and provide direction to external legal firms and internal litigation solicitors. Directs claim payment process which includes payments to external service providers, journal entries to all City Divisions and Agencies and to third parties and their solicitors.
- Evaluates, enhances business processes through optimization & development of the City’s Risk Management Information System (RMIS) including data quality, production & analysis of advanced reporting (benchmarking, key performance indicators, trending), problem solving to achieve specialized reporting capabilities.
- Designs solutions through research and coordination of industry expertise and develops, manages and implements risk management strategies for corporate policies, practices and programs of insurance, claims management, risk management and loss control and conveys information through seminars, presentations, written reports, bulletins, briefing notes, standing committee reports, etc.
- Supports the City’s annual insurance policy program renewal including gathering & submitting underwriting information to the City’s insurance broker.
- Conducts analysis, coordinates regular reconciliation and report on status and recommends appropriate contribution levels to the Insurance Reserve Fund, and tracks the accounting entries in City’s Financial Information System (SAP) and report on financial impact of all expenditures and claim reserve adjustments.
- Develops, implements and audits expenditure budgets for claim payments, adjusting fees and legal fees.
- Provides input into and administers assigned budget, ensuring that expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations.
- Develops and implements an insurance cost allocation algorithm to reflect an ABC & Divisions’ true cost of risk and analyze insurance claims statistics for City ABCs & Programs provides guidance, recommendations and trend analysis to change behaviors to reduce future insurance losses.
- Provides specialized expertise and a range of high quality consulting services in relevant areas to the Insurance & Risk Management core functions to City Agencies, Boards and Commissions and Programs including insurance markets, insurance claims management, insurance audit functions, property loss prevention, liability loss control, contract wording review (i.e. leasehold insurance obligations, RFPs, full range of construction projects, etc.), surety bonding, risk financing and contractual risk transfer techniques, insurance software applications and evidence of insurance (i.e. certificates).
- Prepares RFP’s/RFQ’s and other formal project documents (e.g. project charters); leads in the evaluation, selection and recommendation of technical solutions and professional services (i.e. Insurance Broker, Adjusting Firm, Legal firms, Risk Management Information System, etc.) and reports to Standing Committee, Bid Committee and Council as required.
- Implements corporate property loss control engineering services to inspect high value, critical function sites and coordinates recommendations and compliance with the City Program and the engineering service provider.
- Maintains and supports boiler inspection activity to ensure that all provincial inspections and certificates are maintained.
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Post-secondary education in business or public administration or other discipline pertinent to the job function, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Considerable experience in the financial, insurance, risk and/or claims management functions of a public or private organization.
- Experience in adjusting and legal services vendor management through contract compliance, performance standard management and fee audit processes.
- Experience in the utilization and development of Information Management Systems for purposes of designing, producing and analyzing data including business intelligence.
You must also have:
- Strong knowledge of municipal insurance claims.
- Superior analytical, interpersonal, problem solving and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with employees, client departments, outside agencies and/or politicians and other levels of government.
- Ability to conduct detailed or non-structured research or analysis to complete projects of various terms and complexities.
- Ability to lead and motivate the activities of staff in conjunction with building a consistent team approach to the application of risk management.
- Highly developed report writing and presentation skills both orally and written at all organizational level.
Work for the City you love
Toronto is Canada’s largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world’s most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as a Senior Risk Management Analyst within our Corporate Finance Division.
How to Apply:
For more information on this and other opportunities with the City of Toronto, visit us online at www.toronto.ca/jobs. To apply online, submit your resume, quoting File #2280972 X, by August 29, 2017.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.