Reporting to the Senior Director, General Insurance Services the Senior Insurance Services Consultant works with a portfolio of municipal and related organizations to service and manage their insurance needs with a focus on high service satisfaction. This position plays a consultative role making recommendations on appropriate and cost effective insurance solutions while reviewing the amount of possible risk to ensure coverage is comprehensive.
Full Time, Permanent
$72,166 - $94,600 - Program Services 4
Education and Skills
- University degree in a related field
- Must hold a Level 2 Alberta General Insurance Agents License.
- Completion of the Chartered Insurance Professional (CIP) and/or Canadian Accredited Insurance Broker (CAIB) designation is an asset.
- Minimum 7 years commercial insurance experience in commercial underwriting, account management, account executive, or combination thereof.
- Significant experience in interpreting insurance coverage policy language.
- Direct significant experience in the customer interface portion of insurance services and coverage that allows for risk mitigation.
- Experience working with municipal and not for profit organizations is an asset.
Skills and Attributes
- Strong working knowledge of Commercial Insurance coverage including specialty coverage such as Professional Liability, Directors & Officers Liability, Environmental Impairment Liability and Aviation.
- An in-depth knowledge of insurance underwriting principles.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to establish strong working relationships and manage and service a substantial portfolio of small to large commercial accounts through identifying and responding to their concerns and needs.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail to ensure high accuracy of work.
- Demonstrated commitment to service excellence, innovation, and continuous improvement in the workplace through initiative to identify and research service improvement opportunities.
- Professional ‘can-do’ attitude with a strong work ethic.
- Continuously seeks to stay current and be at the leading edge in his/her field.
- A team player with the ability to work under pressure to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced and changing environment, through being efficient and effectively prioritizing tasks according to importance.
- Self-motivated and self-directed with the ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Provide advice to a large and diverse group of municipal and municipally-related members on a variety of insurance matters; including specific insurance coverages and help to resolve member concerns.
- Underwrite and broker member accounts and address any gaps in coverage that may arise in a member’s insurance portfolio as they experience growth.
- Prepare new business quotations.
- Analyze member-specific risk exposures and assist in determining coverage requirements to mitigate liability.
- Help prepare underwriting information for submission to external markets.
- Prepare members for annual renewal cycle.
- Prioritize member requests and identify emerging industry trends and/or changing needs of members.
- Calculate adjustments and premiums on policies and other insurance documents as required.
- Provide information derived during the underwriting process to the Senior Director, General Insurance Service that may be of interest in the development of loss prevention and risk management initiatives.
- Where able, act as a resource for other members of the insurance team to help facilitate the growth and positive development of the whole team.
- When required, visit members in the assigned territory to develop relationships, review the member’s insurance portfolio for appropriate coverage and provide recommendations for risk mitigation.
- Provide the expertise necessary for development and delivery of insurance and industry related presentations/seminars to prospects and existing members as required.
- Support the General Insurance Services team and assist in additional tasks related, but not limited to; the general insurance program renewal, workshops programs and other presentation material, marketing and procurement of excess and other coverages, and member on-site visits.
- Participate in AUMA events like the annual convention and regional workshops.
- Work with the Accounting and Finance department to ensure that all customer account transactions and other financial details are up to date and accurate, when needed.
- Other additional duties as assigned.