Are you looking for a dynamic and challenging role where you will be able to utilize your unique blend of leadership, relationship building, consulting and expertise? Then this is the position where you can make a difference!
Become an integral member of Wawanesa’s Leadership team and build your career experience in a rewarding environment by effectively managing the personal lines property and farm underwriting function and leading a team of professionals dedicated to excellence in client service.
Working under minimal supervision, the Underwriting Manager – Commercial Lines is responsible for managing and supporting the direction of the underwriting department (and loss control). The role acts as a leader and mentor within the organization to achieve targeted business results with an emphasis on high quality customer service.
- Manage the performance of the portfolio and workflow to meet targeted benchmarks for both short and long term goals.
- Evaluate economic and industry environment for potential or current impacts to business and recommend changes working collaboratively with Executive Office.
- Manage team performance through proactive coaching, employee development and performance appraisals.
- Ensure adherence to policies, procedures and underwriting guidelines.
- Influence the underwriting culture while supporting the company’s risk appetite (and loss control program).
- Champion the development and implementation of business change.
- Participate and/or lead in the interview process on the hiring of new employees.
- Analyze risk and recommend an informed course of action.
- Participate and contribute to the development of regional strategies, target benchmarks and business plans.
- Participate, contribute and manage the annual budget including staff forecasting.
- Participate and contribute to the succession planning process.
- Foster positive working relationships with internal and external parties, including other regional offices and networking at industry events.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Eight years Property and Casualty industry experience.
- Post-secondary education and/or completion of a Property and Casualty Industry Designation
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Expert leadership skills with the ability to motivate and engage high performing teams while managing change.
- Excellent negotiation skills with the ability to present information or arguments in a convincing manner.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills with the ability to select and implement best solutions.
- Excellent decision making skills with the ability to provide justification.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to present information in a convincing manner.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Excellent ability to multi-task and monitor progress to meet deadlines.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
Wawanesa provides its employees with an environment conducive to achieving their goals for personal performance and career development. Our employees are provided with highly competitive compensation packages (base salaries, profit sharing, extended health and dental, and a defined benefits pension plan). This is a full-time, permanent position located in our BC regional office in Vancouver. Wawanesa provides a stable and rewarding environment for its employees in today's challenging markets.