Supervisor, Insurance & Risk Management
Job Classification Title SUPERVISOR INSURANCE & RISK MANAGEMENT
Job ID # 2283089 X
Division Corporate Finance
Section Insurance & Risk Management
Work Location City Hall
Job Stream Accounting/Finance
Job Type Permanent, Full-Time
Salary/Rate $93,256.80 - $109,564.00 / Year
Hours of Work (bi-weekly) 70.00
Shift Information Monday to Friday, 35 Hours per Week
Number of Positions Open 1
Posting Date 15-Sep-2017
Expiry date 29-Sep-2017
Reporting to the Director, Insurance and Risk Management, this position will supervise the day to day operations of all assigned staff in the insurance, risk management and claims administration functions, ensuring effective processing for claims handling and the coordination of external contracted insurance adjusting.
- Implements detailed plans and recommends policies/procedures regarding program-specific requirements.
- Supervises, motivates and trains assigned staff, ensuring effective teamwork, high standards of work quality and organizational performance, continuous learning and encourages innovation in others.
- Supervises the day to day operation of all assigned staff, including the scheduling, assigning and reviewing of work. Authorizes and coordinates vacation and overtime requests. Monitors and evaluates staff performance, approves salary increments, hears grievances and recommends disciplinary action when necessary.
- Provides input into and administers assigned budget, ensuring that expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations and recommends claim settlements for which there is no specific budget.
- Supervises the design of solutions through research and coordination of industry expertise and develops, directs and implements risk management strategies for corporate policies, practices and programs of insurance, claims management, risk management and loss control, and conveys information through various methods, i.e. seminars, presentations, written reports, bulletins, briefing notes and standing committee reports.
- Supervises the provision of specialized expertise and a range of high quality consulting services in relevant areas to the Insurance & Risk Management core functions to City Divisions and applicable insured Agencies, Boards, Commissions & Corporations (ABC&Cs), including insurance markets, insurance claims management, insurance audit functions, property conservation, liability loss control, contract wording review (e.g. leasehold insurance obligations, RFPs, full range of construction projects, etc.), surety bonding, risk financing and contractual risk transfer techniques, insurance software applications and evidence of insurance (e.g. certificates).
- Supervises the arrangement of the City’s annual insurance policy program renewal through traditional insurance placements and provides tactical recommendations on alternative risk financing arrangements such as the development of a City of Toronto insurance corporation.
- Ensures claims are processed in a manner consistent with City policies and insurance industry norms and that payments to vendors are made within contractual arrangements.
- Supervises the preparation of responses to Freedom of Information requests from the Corporate Access & Privacy Office.
- Supervises the procurement of service providers, technical solutions and professional services through RFPs, RFQs, etc., and oversees the evaluation, selection and recommendation through report preparation to Bid Committee, Standing Committee and City Council as required.
- Liaises with other City Divisions (including Legal and Accounting) and other municipalities and orders of government on policy, procedures, benchmarks and other activities of mutual interest.
- Attends and conducts inspections at work zone and City-owned facilities as required.
- Supervises the development and implementation of claim legal procedures, including regular monitoring of litigation files through quarterly reports, solicitor meetings and adjuster reporting.
- Supervises assignment of claim inquiries from City Councillors, City Council and its Standing Committees, the Police Services Board and other insured ABC&Cs.
- Supervises the handling of contentious, adversarial and conflicting situations that arise from claims handling through conciliatory approaches and mediation of opinions and positions, and deals with media inquiries as assigned by the Director.
- Supervises the establishment and maintenance of a computerized claims file system which compiles relevant documentation.
- Develops and implements on-going productivity improvement measures to ensure cost-effective and efficient insurance and claims operations to provide project management techniques to monitor and evaluate progress.
- Participates as a member of the Management Team, providing leadership, goal setting and proactive problem-solving, makes recommendations to assist the Director in planning, service delivery and dealing with emerging issues, and acts for the Director in his absence.
- Provides strategic advice and expert opinion arising from the claims administration process, formulates recommendations on alternative work process controls and standards to manage corporate or Divisional initiatives that reduce the likelihood of repeat claims and communicates to the Management Team.
- Provides tactical recommendations arising from the claims administration process on the financial accountability of City Divisions and insured ABC&Cs for insurable losses, and develops insurance cost allocation charge backs to Divisional and ABC&C operating budgets through the allocation algorithm.
- Supervises appropriate controls for all aspects of adjuster and legal provider service delivery and ensures that appropriate financial controls are in place and followed regarding fee for service.
- Oversees the development, implementation and communication of risk management loss control initiatives arising from the claims administration process such as Claims Review Group Loss Control Notices which result from the interpretation of high-value, multimillion-dollar and legally complex claim reports. Ensures that these items are communicated to the Director and staff of the relevant City Divisions and ABC&Cs for action on recommendations that affect operational processes, budgets and staffing.
- Provides tactical recommendations on the design, recommended development and implementation of the City’s insurance claims administration program through exercising a high degree of judgement on precedent-setting lawsuits, multimillion-dollar insurance claims and insurance claims that may have a provincial and national legal significance.
- Supervises the evaluation of defence counsel recommendations and provides claim settlement or denial instructions to ensure that appropriate insurance claim defence strategies are employed and that conflict of interest in legal representation of the City is avoided.
- Extensive experience in the development, direction and implementation of risk management strategies for corporate policies, practices and programs of insurance, claims management, risk management and loss control.
- Extensive experience in the supervision and training of staff to ensure effective service delivery relating to insurance, risk and claims management.
- Considerable experience in insurance and applying comprehensive risk management principles, statistical analysis and general budget practices.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and in managing databases.
- Knowledge of legal proceedings and applicable legal practices and procedures in the Ontario Court of Justice.
- Highly developed customer service and interpersonal skills with the ability to interact and communicate effectively with all levels of the organization and to forge solid internal and external relationships.
- Strong leadership and strategic thinking skills.
- Effective decision-making that promotes and fosters teamwork and demonstrated ability to embrace and manage change in line with the mission and priorities of the Division.
- Superior research, analytical, problem-solving and conflict resolution skills with all relevant stakeholders, including City staff, politicians and members of the public.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with proven ability to produce effective reports and a variety of written correspondence.
- Takes initiative and applies best practices to continuously improve processes to enhance service delivery, efficiency and effectiveness.
- Ability to exercise independent judgement and discretion in dealing with sensitive and confidential matters.
- Ability to adhere to the Toronto Public Service mission and values, and act professionally and ethically.
- Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills with the ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines under time constraints and adjust work priorities in response to competing demands.
- Ability to work independently under minimum supervision and set priorities, plan and execute tasks.
- Ability to travel to various work locations within the City of Toronto.
- Familiarity with relevant legislation, including government legislation in the area of occupational health and safety.
Work for the City you love
Toronto is Canada’s largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. Consistently ranked one of the world’s most livable cities, we are a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture. Join the award-winning Toronto Public Service as a Supervisor, Insurance & Risk Management within our Corporate Finance Division.
How to Apply:
For more information on this and other opportunities with the City of Toronto, visit us online at www.toronto.ca/jobs. To apply online, submit your resume, quoting File #2283089 X, by September 29, 2017.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City's hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.