Are you a risk specialist with proven analytical skills?
Are you looking for an exceptional opportunity within a dynamic and unique organization?
Working in our head office in Edmonton, and reporting to the CEO/Board Audit Committee, the Risk Manager will utilize an Enterprise Risk Management framework to oversee the identification, assessment and management of risks. This role also encompasses internal auditor responsibilities, whereby the Internal Auditor holds responsibility for the oversight, planning and execution of Peace Hills’ internal audit function.
Enterprise Risk Management
- Develop, monitor and maintain risk management practices, policies and procedures, including the development of the organization’s risk appetite and tolerances;
Maintain the risk framework and methodologies to ensure that material risks are fully managed and communicated to stakeholders;
Advise executive management, their teams, and third parties (Actuary, Reinsurance Brokers) of the validity of key risks and the associated key risk indicators;
Collaborate with the executive management team to determine appropriate controls for key risk management strategies;
Coordinate the business continuity planning & disaster recovery planning program;
Ensure requirements and deliverables for regulatory compliance and rating agency are met;
Identify due diligence considerations surrounding material business opportunities, such as product profitability; and
Participate in corporate endeavors such as project task forces, corporate-wide initiatives, process improvement, or other cross functional efforts.
- Engage with the audit committee to create risk-based audit plans;
Independently conduct audits for all categories of relevant risk to the organization, using a formalized audit program;
Develop, manage and maintain the internal control framework, including process and internal control documentation. Assess adequacy of existing or proposed procedures & controls;
Work with external auditors, actuaries and other third party assurance providers to effectively and efficiently execute the relevant services;
Obtain knowledge of and assess compliance to regulations that are relevant to the industry; develop and implement policies with regard to compliance and monitor for adherence;
Prepare and monitor filings required by the regulator; and
Present reports with respect to compliance and educate and advise on legislative, regulatory and audit environment.
- Various projects including analysis and development of financial models with the objective of evaluating the financial impact of proposed business transactions and strategies while ensuring compliance with internal and regulatory requirements.
- Experience in the insurance industry
- Professional accounting/auditing designation
- Enterprise Risk Management and audit experience
- Previous experience evaluating internal controls, designing questionnaires and testing information
- Superior analytical skills
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Ability to work independently
- Knowledge of the insurance industry would be an asset